ATM user? Beware! Do this or you could fall prey to debit card skimming
While withdrawing money from ATM you must be aware of the fact that there might be a skimming machine installed in the cash outlet to record your financial data, which fraudsters use to dupe people later on.
While withdrawing money from ATM you must be aware of the fact that there might be a skimming machine installed in the cash outlet to record your financial data, which fraudsters use to dupe people later on. In recent times, many incidents of stealing money from the ATM users account through this method have been reported. Latest reports suggest that fraudsters put camera and card skimmers in ATM machines to get users' details.
The latest incident of such frauds came to light with the arrest of ATM fraud kingpin Parvesh Dagar from Dwarka by the crime branch of Delhi Police. He duped 1000-1500 people using this method. The gang would remove the skimming machines and camera from ATM after collecting data of 100 to 150 people and install them in laptop. Therefore, the ATM users should be careful while using an ATM machine.
Watch Zee Business TV Live here:
"Bank ATM or debit card skimming is one of the most common frauds that is being widely reported at pan India level. In this fraud, fraudsters put a skimming device at the card swipe space. When we insert our ATM debit card there, the skimming device camera fitted inside takes a photograph of our debit card," Pavan Duggal, a Delhi-based cyber law expert said.
Steps ATM users may take to prevent cloning of their debit or credit cards:
1. Awareness is the best solution to all such phishing attacks.
2. If an ATM user is aware of such fraud then even a phishing camera can't help these fraudsters to loot your money
3. ATM card users should ensure they do not reveal their ATM PIN.
4. While inserting AT PIN, the users should cover the keyboard with the other hand, which will ensure that the user's PIN is not exposed to the camera.
5. The ATM users should keep changing their PIN from time to time to avoid such online frauds, said Duggal
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.