Bank ATM users alert! New modus operandi comes to light; how to keep your money safe
Bank ATM users these days need to be extra cautious while withdrawing money as a new scam has come to light. In a worrying trend, scammers are now not just working on their own, they are reportedly working in pairs to rob bank ATM users of their money.
Bank ATM users these days need to be extra cautious while withdrawing money as a new scam has come to light. In a worrying trend, scammers are now not just working on their own, they are reportedly working in pairs to rob bank ATM users of their money. This new method involves first fraudster approaching an ATM where their victim is standing. The fraudster spies out the PIN of the bank ATM card user before some dropping money and then alerting the victim by tapping him on the arm. While handing over the cash, the fraudster falsely claims the cash machine isn’t working.
This creates a window of opportunity for the second fraudster who then, steals victim's card as the latter remains distracted. The duo later use the card and the ATM pin to steal the money. These types of frauds are pulled off more during the festive season when cash transactions are more and people are in a big rush.
WATCH Zee Business TV LIVE Streaming Online -
How to stay safe?
- Make sure you are standing close to the ATM machine while entering the PIN.
- Makes sure, when you type in the PIN that it is not visible to anyone, not even a camera. This can be done by covering the fingers typing the PIN by the other hand. This will make sure that fraudsters are not to able to see it.
- Do not let anyone see what you are doing on bank ATM keypad. If you feel that someone is watching, cancel the transaction and find another machine.
- If your card is stuck inside the ATM, call the lender fast and report your details to get your card blocked immediately.
- Check the condition of the bank ATM. If it is in a dilapidated condition, find another one.
- Hide details on the cards all the time. In fact, put your card away straight into your wallet or pocket after using bank ATM.
- Immediately after withdrawing money, leave the booth and then check your smartphone. You will have received an SMS from your bank about the details of your transaction. See if these match your transaction. If not call your bank immediately.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.