- Electronics Mart India IPO: Should you subscribe or avoid? Know Anil Singhvi's recommendation
- SpiceJet, IndiGo, Jet Airways stocks gain up to 9% as government raises loan limit
- How to activate 5G network on your smartphone - Check step-by-step guide
- Metal stocks in focus: Tata Steel, APL Apollo shares gain 2-6% - key triggers
- Electronics Mart India IPO subscription status Day 2: Issue booked over 6.5 times so far; retail and NII investors bid most
Budget 2017: Government may announce incentives for gems & jewellery
The government is expected to announce steps like cut in the gold import duty and incentives to set up gems and jewellery parks in the next Budget 2017 to promote growth of the industry.
The commerce and industry ministry has discussed and suggested its finance counterpart several steps for the sector such as "cut in gold import duty, a gold policy and support for setting up of jewellery parks," sources said.
The industry has demanded cut in the import duty from the current 10% to 2%. It has time and again stated that reduction in the taxes would help check shift of business to neighbouring countries and smuggling.
The demands for setting up of jewellery park was in line with the Information Technology parks.
These parks get support in terms of easy labour policy, single window clearance of projects besides fiscal and non-fiscal support.
The sector assumes significance as it is a labour intensive area. The gems and jewellery sector contribute around 6-7% of the country's gross domestic product (GDP). It also significantly contributes to the country's foreign exchange earnings. It gives employment to over three million people.
To curb grey market and boost the organised players, the Gem and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC) is expecting that the government may reduce the import duty on gold to around 5% in the Budget 2017.
According to reports, demonetisation would have impact on the gems and jewellery sector.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.