New mobile number portability rules to be applicable from today: All you need to know
The new rules issued by the telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) will be applicable from today i.e. December 16. Trai believes that the new guidelines will make it easier to change the telecom operator.
The new rules issued by the telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) will be applicable from today i.e. December 16. Trai believes that the new guidelines will make it easier to change the telecom operator. After the implementation of the rules, the mobile number porting proc is expected to take 3-5 days instead of 15 days. However, the duration will remain the same for certain areas like Jammu and Kashmir, Assam, and North-East service areas. Trai has said that under new rules, UPC will be generated only if a customer is eligible.
What is UPC?
Unique Porting Code or UPC is generated when customers put in request for mobile number portability. For this, they need to SMS the word ‘PORT’ followed by a space and the ten-digit mobile number, to 1900. Upon reaching the nearest customer service centre of operator, you will get the new SIM after filling the Customer Acquisition Form (CAF).
WATCH Zee Business TV LIVE Streaming Online -
What is the eligibility criteria for receiving a UPC?
– The post-paid mobile customers will have to clear ‘outstanding dues’ towards the existing telecom service provider for the issued bills as per the normal billing cycle.
- The customers should be with the present operator for at least 90 days.
- No request for change of ownership of mobile number should be in process.
- There are no pending contractual obligations to be fulfilled by the user.
– The porting of the mobile number is not prohibited by the court of law.
– The mobile number sought to be ported is not sub-judice.
The Unique Porting Code or UPC provided is valid for four days for all areas except Jammu and Kashmir, Assam and the Northeast. The UPC will be available for 30 days in Jammu and Kashmir, Assam and in the Northeast.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.