- Stock Markets on Monday: FII selling, US market corrections remain a pain point for domestic equities; Anil Singhvi gives trigge
- Even as US markets fell, Nasdaq gets into deeper correction; sees 10% drop from November highs and worst week since 2020
- ICICI Bank Q3FY22 net profit rises 19% to Rs 6,536 cr
- Budget 2022 Expectations: USD14 bn warehousing industry ready with its wishlist ahead of budget
- Mutual Fund in 2021: Equity outperforms Fixed Deposit, gold loses sheen while debt schemes least favoured by millennials
Startups are finding it harder to break into the 'unicorn' club
There had been an explosion in the number of startup unicorns from January 2014 to July 2015.
Investors have been going easy on valuations of startups world over, indicated in the falling number of unicorn firms recently.
A unicorn is a start-up company valued at over $1 billion.
In the final quarter of 2015, 14 new unicorns entered the 'unicorn' club, but the number slowed to nine and 10 in the first two-quarters of 2016, respectively, according to a CB Insights report.
Source: CB Insights
The January 2014 - July 2015 period saw a huge uptick in the number of startups that were valued at or above $1 billion by their investors, as indicated by the infographic from CB Insights.
The second and third quarter of 2015 each saw around 25 new unicorns emerge.
Currently, there are 171 unicorn companies globally out of which 149 firms entered the club after January 2014 onwards, said the report.
From January 2011 to January 2014 only 22 firms were assigned the tag. Some of the first startup unicorns includes, Palantir, Spotify, Jawbone, Airbnb, Dropbox, Xiaomi, SurveyMonkey, Pinterest, Flipkart, TGI, SpaceX, Uber, among others.
Flipkart was the first among the Indian startups to become a unicorn when it crossed $1 billion valuation in June 2012.
Some of the other Indian startup unicorns include Snapdeal, Ola, Zomato, Shopclues, and Hike which recently joined the club.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.