UIDAI: Can an NRI with an Indian passport also apply for an Aadhaar card?
UIDAI has clarified that Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) with a valid Indian passport can apply for an Aadhaar card in India.
Issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), a 12-digit unique identification number or Aadhaar is one of the most important identity proofs in India. From PAN to bank accounts, almost every important document is linked to the Aadhaar and it has also become mandatory for a several government-sponsored schemes. While Indian citizens are eligible to get an Aadhaar card, the document also seems to be important for Non-Resident Indians (NRIs). However, there is a lot of confusion about whether NRIs can apply for an Aadhaar.
The UIDAI on its official website has answered all the related queries, clarifying that NRIs with a valid Indian passport can apply for an Aadhaar card. "An NRI (whether minor or adult) with a valid Indian Passport can apply for Aadhaar from any Aadhaar Kendra," it says.
Aadhaar card for NRIs
As stated by the UIDAI, having an Aadhaar card is important for everyone who has an income in India. An identification proof, Aadhaar helps NRIs to get jobs in the government sector when they return and receive all the benefits of government schemes and social security programmes.
LPG rates with effect from October 1: This is how much you pay for commercial & domestic LPG cylinders now
IND Vs ENG LIVE Score, ICC World CUP 2023 Warm Up Match Updates: India to take on England in their first warm-up match at Barsapara Stadium, Guwahati
EPFO extends deadline to upload details by employers for higher pension option by 3-month till Dec 31
The process to apply for an Aadhaar card is also similar for NRIs to that of the rest of the citizens in India.
Aadhaar Card for NRIs: Steps to apply
As per the UIDAI, NRIs can follow the step-by-step process to apply for an Aadhaar card:
1. Go to the nearest Aaadhar Seva Kendra along with your valid Indian Passport.
2. Take the enrolment form and fill in all the necessary details that should match the ones mentioned in your passport.
3. Also, mention your email address in the form.
4. Submit the form and ask the operator to enroll you as an NRI.
5. You will also need to sign a declaration while applying for the Aaadhar card. Carefully read it before signing.
6. After submitting the details, a scanned copy of the passport will be added as the proof of identity.
7. To complete the biometric capture process, get your fingers and eyes scanned.
8. After the filling process is done, collect the acknowledgment slip including the 14-digit enrolment ID along with the Date and Time stamp.
The NRI applicants must ensure that they provide Indian mobile numbers in their application and other documents as mentioned on the UIDAI website while applying for Aadhaar card.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.
Guaranteed Pension System (GPS) vs Old Pension Scheme (OPS): Which pension scheme offers maximum retirement benefits?
Small savings schemes: Five-year recurring deposit will make more money for you in December quarter; this is the new interest rate
Flipkart Big Billion Days Sale 2023: iPhone, Google Pixel, Samsung Galaxy, and Motorola; best phones under Rs 60K-Rs 1.5 lakh category
Flipkart Big Billion Days Sale 2023: Samsung, Redmi, Realme, Poco and more; best phones under Rs 15,000