IIT Guwahati to focus on employment oriented education with skill development in North-Eastern States
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IIT-G) planned to have extension centers in the North-Eastern states to introduce pedagogy of education to large numbers of learners.
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IIT-G) planned to have extension centers in the North-Eastern states to introduce pedagogy of education to large numbers of learners. The plans will take place through direct instruction, networked learning with supported open learning programmes through outreach activities. The institute also plans to create awareness and training for the rural masses about rural technologies which IIT-G is currently working on. The move is being spearheaded by the newly appointed Director, Dr. T.G. Sitharam.
Commenting on the vision for IIT Guwahati, Sitharam has outlined several initiatives like:
1. IIT Guwahati aims to work closely with institutes in the North East region through their outreach activities. Sitharam highlighted the significance of imparting employment-oriented education with skill development to the local people in the North-Eastern States.
2. To motivate students, the institute plans to run programmes like to bring several Class 12 students from 12 different government-run schools of the States in the North East to IIT Guwahati campus for an exposure visit.
3. As a part of this programmes, the students will visit the research facilities, infrastructure, and will interact with the faculty at the institute.
3. Through various masters and Ph.D. programmes, the institute aims to attract a large number of international students from the BIMSTEC and SAARC countries in the near future.
4. All the above initiatives will be implemented with approval from the Ministry of HRD.
The initiatives aim to expand the reach of the institution to other parts of the North-East by opening extension centres, taking the institute from being a 'Tower of Excellence' to a 'Network of Excellence', with necessary approval from the Ministry of HRD.