- Market ends with marginal cuts this week; FMCG gains, Consumer Durables decline—What should investors do on Monday?
- Investors with short term view must book profits now; import duty hike, rupee weakness may arrest price correction, temporarily
- Virtual Digital Assets: VDAs to attract 1% TDS from today; know what CBDT says about new norms
- Maruti Suzuki, Ashok Leyland: What makes brokerages bullish on these auto stocks?
- Monsoon session of Parliament to begin on July 18; to end on August 12
This painting of cricket match sold for over Rs 10 crore at Sotheby's sale
English artist L S Lowry's depiction of a backstreet cricket match in England's Salford area, was sold for over Rs 10 crore at a Sotheby's auction in London.
English artist L S Lowry's depiction of a backstreet cricket match in England's Salford area, was sold for over Rs 10 crore at a Sotheby's auction in London. The sale comes amidst the cricket frenzy owing to the World Cup underway in England. Painted in 1938, "A Cricket Match" shows Lowry's artistic finesse at its best. He gives children the centre stage, both as enthusiastic players and spectators.
1. "It is a counterpoint to the burdensome life of the adults and their dilapidated surroundings," Sotheby's said in a statement.
2. The painting that featured in the auction house's Modern & Post-War British Art Evening Sale earlier this week, appeared on the market for the first time since it sold at Sotheby's in June 1996 for Rs 2.49 crore.
3. Other highlights at the auction included two definitive Modern British works by Henry Moore and Ben Nicholson.
4. One of Moore's "most tender" and worked drawings during the Second World War, "Shelter Drawing: Seated Mother and Child" (1941) sold for Rs 7.56 crore. The work had previously been featured in the artist's major retrospective at Tate Britain in 2010.
5. Making its auction debut, Nicholson's stellar modernist re-telling of the still-life brought Rs 5.65 crore. Inspired by the Synthetic Cubism of Picasso and Braque, a period in the Cubism art movement, Nicholson gives the work a British twist through his palette of greens, blues and pinks.
6. Auction records were also achieved for Pop Art pioneer Peter Phillips and St Ives Modernist John Wells.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.