SBI customer awareness alert! You may lose money if you get these calls, SMS and emails - Warning details
SBI has been warning its customers on frequent basis, to take precautions in their day-to-day financial transactions either be ATM withdrawals or internet banking.
SBI Calls, SMS, Email Fraud Alert: Serving more than 42 crore customers post merger, the largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) has been taking stringent methods for securing its bank account holders financial credentials. Having such a strong customer base, there are chances where a fraudster can lure customers into sharing their important details like mobile number, name, address, debit cards, credit cards and bank account number among others. There are many mediums to lure customers, and one such is by sending attractive or scary sms, calls or emails. SBI has been warning its customers on frequent basis, to take precautions in their day-to-day financial transactions either be ATM withdrawals or internet banking. On its website OnlineSBI, the lender has given a fraud alert and how to identify a trap.
In the first notification, SBI highlights that one can be trapped various calls, sms and emails. Messages will be conveyed in a manner like ‘You’ve won a lottery!’, ‘Your card has been blocked!’ and ‘You’ve got a special bonus’. SBI calls them bogus and a trap.
The bank reiterates its customers for not sharing their password/PIN/MPIN/OTP with anyone. Banks will never ask such information.
SBI goes on explaining that, never respond to any popup, email, SMS or phone call. No matter how appealing or official-looking they are. These alluring messages are done to seek your personal information such as user name, password, mobile number, ATM card details, etc. Such communications are sent or created by the fraudster to trick you into parting with your credentials.
Apart from this, SBI also says not to use internet banking if your computer is not free of malware like Viruses, Trojans, etc.
That said, here’s a list of tips you can keep in mind for having a secure banking transaction.
1. Access your bank website only by typing the URL in the address bar of your browser.
2. Be aware of downloading any malicious application from mobile application stores (Google Playstore, Apple App Store, Blackberry App World, Ovi Store, Windows Marketplace etc) that are offering Online Banking. Kindly check their authenticity before downloading, by contacting your Bank.
3. Do not click on any links in any e-mail message to access the site.
4. Never respond to luring email/SMS or phone call. Report immediately on report dot phishing at sbi dot co dot in if you receive any such e-mail/SMS or Phone call. Please lock your user access immediately, if you have accidentally revealed your credentials.
5. Do not be lured if you receive an e-mail/SMS/phone call promising reward for providing your personal information or for updating your account details in the bank site.
6. Having the following will improve your internet security:
- A newer version of Operating System with latest security patches.
- Latest version of Browsers (IE 7.0 and above , Mozilla Firefox 3.1 and above, Opera 9.5 and above, Safari 3.5 and above, Google chrome,etc.)
- Firewall is enabled.
- Antivirus signatures applied.
7. Scan your computer regularly with Antivirus to ensure that the system is Virus/Trojan free.
Watch Zee Business TV live streaming below:
8. Change your Internet Banking password at periodical intervals.
9. Always check the last log-in date and time in the post login page.
10. Avoid accessing Internet banking accounts from cyber cafes or shared PCs.
11. After you have logged in, you will not be asked to provide your username and login password again. Also, you will not be asked to provide your CREDIT or DEBIT CARD details while using internet banking. If you get a message (such as through a pop-up) asking for such information, do not provide this information no matter how 'genuine' the page appears to be.
Hence, precaution is always better than cure.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.