Make money, but first slay the inflation dragon this way; boost your bank balance
It is of critical importance to invest in an asset that gives you a return much bigger than inflation. Here are some details that you should know as an investor for making the right choice for a financially secure future.
Yes, the inflation dragon eats a massive chunk of our investments with time. Who suffers? The earnings of the common man suffer. In fact, he or she suffer losses because of inflation. Sometimes even all our savings aren't enough to help us in future, which is why it is very important to invest for in an asset that can beat inflation. It is of critical importance to invest in an asset that gives you a return much bigger than inflation. Here are some details that you should know as an investor for making the right choice for a financially secure future. Firoz Aziz, Deputy CEO, Anandrathi Wealth Management has shared a few details on how you can make your future goals inflation proof.
Inflation in India has again jumped over 4%, while the retail inflation rate in October was 4.62%. In September the inflation rate was at 3.99%, which is more in comparison to last year.
How to calculate inflation?
- All spending at personal level increase quite rapidly on a year on year basis
- Our expenses usually increase by 10-12% every year
- Medical and education expenses also increase year after year
- To beat this, you must set long-term goals for financial needs
- Average inflation should be calculated between 8-10%
Do Fixed Deposits beat inflation?
- Returns on fixed deposits are very low
- Interest rates on FDs are being cut for a while
- Post-tax returns are not so good on FDs
- FDs are not at all effective in beating inflation
- Interest on FDs is declining day by day
Do Debt Funds beat inflation?
- Debt funds are a better option than a fixed deposit
- Bonds, debentures, government securities are examples of debt instruments
- Deposit Certificate, Commercial Paper are also kinds of debt instruments
- Different debt funds are meant for different financial goals
- They have the ability to deliver better returns than fixed deposits
- Debt funds are better on the front of tax and indexation benefits
Do Equity Funds beat inflation?
- Make equity a part of your investment portfolio
- Investing in Equity Mutual Funds are always better
- Invest in equity for a long term goals
- One can get 12-15% returns in the long term
- Better for goals like children's studies, marriage, health emergencies, etc
Feroz's preferred equity funds
- Mirae Asset Large Cap Fund
- Kotak Standard Multi-Cap Fund
- L&T Mid Cap Fund
Diversification and inflation relationship
- Diversification in the portfolio is very important
- Diversification helps you to reduce investment risk
- Diversification means investing in different tools and asset classes
Watch Zee Business Live TV below
Does Gold beat inflation?
- Gold can be a good option to have as hedge fund against inflation
- In the long term, inflation rises at 6% and gold beats the rate equally
Do International Funds beat inflation
- Get exposure in the international market
- Exposure to companies like Apple, Facebook, Google
- Invest in companies not listed in India
- International fund perform well in short or medium-term
- Domestic funds have delivered better returns in the long term
Feroz's favorite international funds
- Franklin India Feeder-Frank US Opp
- ICICI Pru US Bluechip Equity Fund
- Canara Robeco Emerging Equities Fund
- Mirae Asset Large-cap Fund
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.