TODAY IS LAST DAY to link PAN with Aadhaar; here's a step-by-step guide to do it online
PAN-Aadhaar linkage: Friday, June 30 is to be the last day of linking the Permanent Account Number (PAN) with Aadhaar.
Pan-Aadhaar linkage: Friday, June 30 is the last day to link the Permanent Account Number (PAN) with Aadhaar. The Income Tax Department has advised taxpayers, once again, not to miss the deadline.
According to authorities, linking PAN to Aadhaar is an essential step in combating tax evasion.
"As per Income-tax Act, 1961, it is mandatory for all PAN holders who do not fall under the exempt category to link their PAN with Aadhaar on or before 30.06.2023. Please link your PAN and Aadhaar today," according to the I-T department.
Telangana Election Result 2023 Date: Check date, time of counting of votes, results announcement of 200 Assembly seats
Whole Life Assurance (Suraksha): Post Office life insurance plan, sum assured up to Rs 50 lakh; loan; tax exemption; and more benefits
RBI expected to continue with stricter measures to curb extensive expansion of unsecured retail loans
India Vs Australia 3rd T20I Free Live Streaming: When and Where to watch IND VS AUS T20I series Live Match on Mobile Apps, TV, Laptop, Online
Small Saving Schemes: Guaranteed returns, tax exemption, income assurance and other benefits of government savings schemes
MCX shares hit an all-time high after board decides to recover tech cost from MCXCCL for old platform
Kind attention PAN holders!
As per Income-tax Act, 1961, it is mandatory for all PAN holders, who do not fall under the exempt category, to link their PAN with Aadhaar on or before 30.06.2023.
— Income Tax India (@IncomeTaxIndia) June 13, 2023
What is PAN?
PAN is a 10-digit alphanumeric number issued by the Income Tax Department to individuals. PAN enables the department to link transactions with individuals. These transactions include tax payments, TDS/TCS credits, returns of income, and specified transactions. PAN, thus, acts as an identifier for individuals.
What is Aadhaar?
Aadhaar is a 12-digit individual identification number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) on behalf of the Government of India. The number serves as proof of identity and address anywhere in the country. An Aadhaar letter received via India Post as well as one downloaded in a digital form from the UIDAI website are both equally valid.
Why is it important to link Aadhaar with PAN?
According to the I-T department, if you fail to link your PAN with Aadhaar:
- Your PAN will become inoperative
- Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) will be deducted at a higher rate
- Pending interest, refunds will not be issued
- Tax Collected at Source (TCS) will be collected at a higher rate
The I-T department has also issued a warning to PAN card holders about a few possible causes of failure when integrating Aadhaar with their PAN.
While linking Aadhaar to PAN, taxpayers may face problems because of mismatches in details such as:
- Date of Birth
For a seamless connection of PAN and Aadhaar, biometric-based authentication has been offered at specific PAN Service Provider (Protean and UTIITSL) centres. The I-T department has also tweeted details of the service provider for the process.
To update their PAN information, individuals can visit the following websites:
- NSDL: https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/endUserRegisterContact.html
- UTIITSL: https://www.pan.utiitsl.com
They can update their Aadhaar details by visiting the UIDAI website.
The I-T department said that after resolving the demographic mismatch, users can try linking PAN-Aadhaar at the e-filing portal.
How to Online Link Your PAN Card to Your Aadhaar Card
1. Go to the Income Tax Department's official website, https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal.
2. If you haven't already, register yourself.
3. Your PAN or Aadhaar number will be assigned as your user ID.
4. Log in to the site using your user ID, password, and birth date.
5. A pop-up notification will appear on your screen informing you that your PAN has been linked with Aadhaar.
6. If the notification does not display, navigate to the 'Quick Links' section on the homepage's left side.
7. On the homepage, click the 'Link Aadhaar' button.
8. Enter your PAN number, Aadhaar number, and name as they appear on your Aadhaar card.
9. If applicable, check the "I only have the year of birth in my Aadhaar card" box.
10. To validate, enter the Captcha code that appears on your screen.
11. Once all of the information you entered matches your PAN and Aadhaar data, you will receive a message that your Aadhaar and PAN cards have been successfully linked.
12. Your PAN card and Aadhaar card will be successfully linked.
If the above-mentioned link does not open, you can go to the UTITSL or NSDL portals.
Catch the latest stock market updates here. For all other news related to business, politics, tech, sports, and auto, visit Zeebiz.com.