How to claim Income Tax Refund after filing ITR for Assessment Year (AY) 2019-20
How to get Income Tax Refund after filing ITR: The last date for filing Income Tax Return (ITR) for Assessment year 2019-20 has been extended by Income Tax department to August 31, 2019
How to get Income Tax Refund after filing ITR: The last date for filing Income Tax Return (ITR) for Assessment year 2019-20 has been extended by Income Tax department to August 31, 2019. While this comes as good news for hundreds of thousands of taxpayers who were facing a hard time in filing returns due to several changes introduced recently, here's one income tax return rule that you must not forget if you want to complete the entire process successfully and get the refund! That is, after filing the income tax return, you should not forget to verify it within 120 days. The income tax department assumes that the person is not paying the returns in case h/she doesn't verify the form within 120 days.
The Income Tax department will process your ITR only after you verify your form. In case you have paid TDS, you can get refund only after it has been processed by the department.
The tax department can also send a notice to the taxpayer in case h/she forgets to verify the ITR. Here are some ways you can verify you ITR and avoid coming in the eyes of taxmen:
1. Through Demat Account: If you are a stock market investor with a Demat account, you can easily verify your returns. You can log in to your Demat account and enter your mobile number, email id, etc. After this, you can verify using Aadhaar. The entire process may take up to 1-2 hours.
2. Through Aadhaar OTP: After filing ITR, you can verify it with Aadhaar OTP (One Time Password). For this, your mobile number and Aadhaar should be linked. Once you chose this method for verifying the returns, you will receive an OTP on your mobile number. After submitting this OTP on the Income Tax Department's website, your return will be verified.
3. Through Bank ATM: You can also verify ITR through bank ATM. The Income Tax department provides the option of generating an Electronic Verification Code (EVC) through ATM. For this, an e-filing option appears on the ATM screen after you enter the card and PIN. After clicking on this code an eVC code will be sent to your registered mobile number. You can use this code to verify your returns on the Income Tax Department's website.
4. Through NetBanking: For verifying ITR through NetBanking, log on to your bank's website. Go to e-Verify option in the Tax tab. The Income Tax Department's website will open after you click on the tab. Here you will get the option of Generating EVC. After clicking on this, you will receive a 10-digit code on your mobile and email. You can use this code to verify the returns.
5. By sending the form to Income Tax office, Bengaluru: You can send print and signed return form to the IT department headquarters in Bengaluru within 120 days of the filing of the return. The Income Tax Department will confirm receipt of the form. This way your return form will also be verified.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.