How to file income tax return online for salaried employee: A brief, step by step income tax return (ITR) filing guide
With the tax season heating up and the filing of income tax returns (ITR) time for employees looming, the question on most people's minds is - How to file income tax return online for salaried employees.
With the tax season heating up and the filing of income tax returns (ITR) time for employees looming, the question on most people's minds is - How to file income tax return online for salaried employees. Even as the government has given relief by extending the deadline for linking PAN with biometric ID Aadhaar by six months till September 30, income tax has to be filed as per the scheduled date by salaried employees. Notably, the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) statement said that quoting of Aadhaar card will remain mandatory for filing income tax returns (ITRs) in the wake of the Supreme Court order. Also, taxpayers should know that, if they do not file their returns on time, they can be severely penalised.
Salaried employees under income tax net should know as to how to submit their ITR online, following the steps given on the Income Tax department's website.
Here is how to file income tax return online for salaried employee:
1. First you need to login to e-Filing website with User ID, Password, Date of Birth /Date of Incorporation and Captcha.
2. Then go to e-File and click on "Prepare and Submit ITR Online"--Only ITRs 1 and 4S can be filled online.
3. Select the Income Tax Return Form ITR 1/ITR 4S and the Assessment Year.
4. Fill in the details and click the "Submit" button.
5. Upload Digital Signature Certificate (DSC), if applicable. You should ensure that the DSC is registered with e-filing.
6. Click on "Submit" button.
7. On successful submission, ITR-V would be displayed (if DSC is not used). Click on the link and download the ITR-V, which will be sent to your registered email. If ITR is uploaded with DSC, the return filing process is complete.
8. If the return is not uploaded with DSC, the ITR-V Form should be printed, signed and submitted to CPC within 120 days from the date of e-Filing.
9. The return will be processed only upon receipt of signed ITR-V, therefore, check your emails/SMS for reminders on non-receipt of ITR-V.
10. Now the process of preparing and submitting ITR Online by Taxpayer is complete.
Notably, the CBDT has extended the deadline for individuals to link their Permanent Account Number (PAN) with Aadhaar for the sixth time.
Watch this Zee Business Video
Earlier in June last year, the government had said that PAN has to be linked with the biometric ID by March 31.