Income Tax Return Filing: Over 6.77 crore ITRs filed till July 31 — check 9 highlights shared by I-T Dept
Income Tax Return Filing: The income tax department on Tuesday informed that 53.67 lakh first-time filers filed their Income Tax Return (ITR) till July 31, taking the total number of ITRs filed to a record 6.77 crore for the assessment year 2023-24.
In a statement, the income tax department said, "The total number of ITRs for AY 2023-24 filed till 31st July 2023 are more than 6.77 crore, which is 16.1 per cent more than the total ITRs for AY 2022-23 (5.83 crore) filed till 31st July 2022."
Income Tax Return Filing: Highlights
Here are some of the highlights shared by the IT Department —
Indraprastha Medical Corp stock hits lower circuit; Apollo Hospitals trades in green amid allegations of kidney transplant malpractices
300% Dividend: Hindustan Zinc declares second interim dividend - Check record date and other details
Traders' Diary: Buy, sell or hold strategy on Birlasoft, JK Tyre, Coromandel International, Vedant Fashions, Blue Dart, over a dozen other stocks today
BCL Industries’s subsidiary wins Rs 228 crore order for supply of Ethanol from state-run BPCL, HPCL, Indian Oil
- More than 6.77 crore ITRs for AY 2023-24 filed till 31st July, 2023 — which is 16.1% more than the ITRs filed in the corresponding period last year.
- Over 64.33 lakh ITRs filed on a single day — on 31st July, 2023.
- Around 53.67 lakh ITRs filed by first-time filers, a fair indication of widening of tax base.
- 5.63 crore returns e-verified, of the e-verified ITRs, 3.44 crore ITRs processed (61%) by 31st July, 2023.
- Over 32 crore successful logins on the e-filing portal (01.07.23 to 31.07.23). Around 2.74 crore successful logins were recorded on 31st July itself.
- Over 1.26 crore challans received through TIN 2.0 payment system in July.
- The e-filing Helpdesk handled more than 5 lakh queries in July itself.
Of the total 6.77 crore returns filed for the tax assessment year 2023-24, 49.18 per cent were filed as ITR-1, while 11.97 per cent were filed as ITR-2. Similarly, the share of ITR-3 was 11.13 per cent, ITR-4 was 26.77 per cent and ITR-5 was 0.94 per cent.
More than 46 per cent returns have been submitted online through the e-filing portal while the remaining returns have been filed offline.
Income Tax Return Filing: ITR Filing Deadline
For AY 2022-23, July 31 was the last date for filing income tax returns by salaried taxpayers and for those who do not need to get their accounts audited for income earned in the 2022-23 fiscal.
Income-tax Department appreciates taxpayers and tax professionals for making compliances in time, leading to a record surge in filing of Income-tax Returns (ITRs).
Here are some highlights:
More than 6.77 crore ITRs for AY 2023-24 filed till 31st July, 2023, 16.1% more than… pic.twitter.com/W7cG5ita8B
— Income Tax India (@IncomeTaxIndia) August 1, 2023