- IRDAI sets a target of 5 years for life insurance companies for greater penetration; proposes state-level committee
- Dalal Street Corner: Bank, FMCG stocks help Nifty clear crucial hurdle of 15,800; what should investors do on Tuesday?
- Despite windfall tax, brokerages remain bullish on oil & gas stocks; see up to 70% upside on ONGC, Oil India
- Rupee settles flat at 78.94 against US dollar
- Akasa Air showcases crew uniform; conducts proving flight test
Market closing bell: Sensex sustains 36,000 level, Nifty drops below 10,800
Sensex, Nifty today: Indian indices witnessed a correction on Friday amid strong global sentiments. Both Sensex and Nifty witnessed a dip on Friday as both indices closed on a lower note. The 30-share BSE Sensex closed at 36,009.84, 96.66 points low while Nifty 50 closed at 10,794.95, 26.65 points lower than the Thursday closing. Banking stocks too continued to fall under pressure as the Nifty Bank index closed 74.65 points lower, a correction of around 0.27 percent.
Commenting upon the expected market trend that may follow on Monday's trading session, Simi Bhoumik, Technical Equity Analyst (officially registered with the SEBI) told Zee Business Online, "Stocks from banking, NBFC and housing finance looks strong." She said that Nifty is still strong and may soon touch the 10,900 level once it sustains above the 10,850 levels.
The markets noticed a correction at closing hours even after a green opening in the morning, amid US President Donald Trump's comment on Thursday in which he said that Washington was having "tremendous success" in its trade negotiations with China.
Asian stocks too went on to gain further from their previous closing. Japan's Nikkei went up by more than 195 points, Shanghai index went northward by around 0.74 percent, Kospi logged near 0.60 percent while Hang Seng was trading after gaining over 0.55 percent.
On the Wall Street, stocks rose at a flat pace overnight. The S&P 500 index closed 0.45 percent up. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 122.8 points, or 0.51 percent, to close at 24,001.92 and the Nasdaq Composite added 28.99 points, or 0.42 percent, to end at 6,986.07.
1. ITC: It witnessed a recovery of around 1.88 per cent to close at Rs 285
2. UPL: The stock closed strong by 1.27 per cent at Rs 783
3. Wipro: It moved up by 1 per cent during the day to end at Rs 329
Watch this Zee Business tweet video:
— Zee Business (@ZeeBusiness) January 11, 2019
1. Indusind Bank: The stock closed at Rs 1,517, plunging 3.1 per cent.
2. Tata Motors: It witnessed a correction of 3 per cent to end at Rs 180.15
3. Bharti Infratel: The stock got weaker by 2.95 per cent to close at Rs 276.65
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.