Rajnath Singh says HAL has orders to manufacture Su-30 MKI, LCA, DO-228 (Dornier), ALH, Chetak and Cheetal
According to the Defence Minister arrears of Rs 868.14 crore are outstanding with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited for its contractors.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has said that the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has concrete orders to manufacture Su30 MKI, Light Combat Aircraft Tejas, Dornier, Advanced Light Helicopter, Chetak, Cheetal helicopters among others and defence services have paid the aerospace major Rs 8,140 crore in the last six months, while giving a written reponse to the Rajya Sabha Monday. The Defence Minister further said:
1. He said, "The present capacity available in HAL is adequate to fulfil the existing orders, projects in hand. Currently, HAL has firm orders to manufacture platforms like Su-30 MKI, LCA, DO-228 (Dornier), ALH, Chetak and Cheetal helicopters."
2. According to the Defence Minister arrears of Rs 868.14 crore are outstanding with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited for its contractors.
3. Rajnath Singh also clarified that as and when required the HAL borrows from banks to meet its working capital requirements.
4. Notably, the Congress had launched an offensive against the government, just before the polls, alleging that Dassault Aviation, the makers of Rafale fighter jet, overlooked the PSU and gave the offset contract to another private company. The issue also reverberated during the Lok Sabha polls.
5. Earlier this year, the HAL was also forced to borrow Rs 1,000 crore to pay salaries to its employees for the first time in years.
6. In May 2019, HAL has posted an all-time high turnover of Rs 19,705 crore, registering a growth of 7.8 per cent in 2018-19.