ICICI Bank account holder? Beware! UPI accounts created by Truecaller! Users rush to block debit cards to save their money
Truecaller is a popular call blocking mobile app in India. However, the app created a nightmare for thousands of Truecaller users in India, when a bug automatically created their Unified Payments Interface (UPI) accounts with the ICICI Bank without their consent.
With over 100 million users in India, Truecaller is a popular call blocking mobile app in India. However, the app created a nightmare for thousands of Truecaller users in India, when a bug automatically created their Unified Payments Interface (UPI) accounts with the ICICI Bank without their consent. This triggered panic and hacking fears among ICICI Bank account holders, according to IANS.
The affected account holders received an SMS from ICICI Bank, starting from Monday evening to Tuesday saying, "Your registration for UPI app has started. If it was not you, report now to your bank. Do not share card details/OTP/CVV with anyone to avoid financial loss''.
Here are key points to know:
1. The message from ICICI Bank was enough to scare some users who immediately approached the ICICI Bank customer care, blocking their netbanking and debit cards.
2. The users reported the issue after updating their Android app to the latest Truecaller version 10.41.6.
3. Later, Truecaller issued a statement, saying it has discovered a bug in the latest update that affected the payments feature, which automatically triggered a registration post updating to the version.
4. "We`re sorry about this version not passing our quality standards. We've taken quick steps to fix the issue, and already rolled out a fix in a new version.
5. "For the users already affected, the new version with the fix will be available shortly, however, in the meanwhile, they can choose to manually deregister through the overflow menu in the app," said Truecaller which added payments service with the ICICI Bank in 2017.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.