Here's a complete list of what Aadhaar is and will be needed for
It all started with the passing of the Aadhaar Act 2016 by Lok Sabha last year which was initially aimed to provide legal backing to the unique identification number project.
“An Act to provide for, as a good governance, efficient, transparent, and targeted delivery of subsidies, benefits and services, the expenditure for which is incurred from the Consolidated Fund of India, to individuals residing in India through assigning of unique identity numbers to such individuals and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto,” the Act read.
The NDA government chose to introduce the Aadhaar Bill, 2016 as a Money Bill this year in parliament and the Lok Sabha, which had the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government in majority cleared the Bill and passed it to the Rajya Sabha.
In March this year, a debate began in parliament over the controversial Money Bill as the Rajya Sabha rejected it even though the Lok Sabha continued to back it.
Opposition parties’ main concern for not passing the bill was the issue of mass surveillance through its introduction, which was also an issue raised by former CM of Gujarat and current Prime Minister, Narendra Modi.
On Aadhaar, neither the Team that I met nor PM could answer my Qs on security threat it can pose. There is no vision, only political gimmick
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) April 8, 2014
“Any important legislation has to be approved by both houses of parliament before it can become the law of the land, which is why, failing its passage in the Rajya Sabha, the Land Acquisition ordinance has still not become permanently legally binding,” a report by The Citizen said on April 2.
However, since the Act was passed last year the government has moved to make the quoting of the UID for several schemes mandatory despite Supreme Court’s orders that ruled otherwise on March 27.
Aadhaar mandatory for these schemes as listed by Hindustan Times report
1. Mandatory for Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) Applications
2. No Aadhaar, No Employee Provident Fund
3. Availing benefits under the Public Distribution System (PDS)
4. For availing crop cnsurance for farmers under Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana
5. Aadhaar needed for ‘Housing for all’ under Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana – Gramin
6. For Subsidies under Horticulture & Other Board for individuals who wish to avail subsidies under National Horticulture Board, Coconut Development Board & Central Institute for Horticulture, Nagaland, sub-schemes of Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture need an Aadhaar number.
7. National Apprenticeship Programme for those availing of the government scheme that provides 25% of the stipend paid to apprentices will also require Aadhaar authentication.
8. Staff training at Anganwadi centres
9. For conducting Yoga classes under Grih Kalyan Kendra.
10. Availing sports facilities under Grih Kalyan Kendra.
11. Aadhaar for Grih Kalyan Kendra employees
12. For coaching academies, summer camps by the Central Civil Services Cultural and Sports Board
13. Availing scholarship by 9-12 class students
14. Rural poor youth availing benefits of Deen Dayal Yojana
15. For staff of National Mission of Empowerment
16. To get latrine subsidies under Individual Household Latrine (IHHL).
17. Central sector and scholarship scheme for college and university students
18. Those availing training under e-Panchayat
19. For soil health management scheme under National Mission for Sustainable Agriculture.
20. Adult education under Saakshar Bharat
21. For education of disabled children under the scheme Inclusive Development of Disabled at the Secondary Stage under Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan.
22. Receiving remuneration under the Integrated Child Development Scheme.
23. Receiving of Maternity Benefit
24. Female victims of ‘unfortunate' circumstances’: The scheme that provides institutional support to female victims of unfortunate circumstances will also require Aadhaar numbers.
25. For victims of trafficking and rescue: Under the Ujjawala scheme that aims to prevent trafficking and rescue, rehabilitation and reintegration of victims of sexual exploitation will have to undergo Aadhaar authentication.
26. Those availing employment under 16 years scheme by the government
27. Scheme for Adolescent girls that provides food, healthcare and life skills to adolescent girls.
28. National Carrier Services
29. Student scholarship for children of beedi workers, cine workers, iron-mangnese-chome ore workers and limestone and dolmite workers.
30. Accredited Social Health Activists (ASHA)
31. Staff involved in National Health Mission
32. Mid Day Meal Scheme
33. Schemes for the Protection of Civil Rights Act, 1955 and the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989
34. Dr Ambedkar Scheme of Interest Subsidy on educational loans for Overseas Studies for OBC and EBC Students
35. Operation of certain schemes through eligible NGOs
36. Schemes to aid entrepreneurs from a SC background
37. Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan
38. Army, Navy, Air Force Pensions
39. Central Scholarship Schemes for students with disabilities
40. Skills Training of Persons with Disabilities
41. National Water Mission
42. Scheme of Assistance to Disabled Persons for assistive devices (ADIP)
43. Compensation for Bhopal Gas victims
44. Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY)
45. Scholarship Scheme of Satyajit Ray Films and Television Institute, Kolkata
46. Journalist Welfare Scheme through Press Information Bureau
47. Bonded Labour Rehabilitation Scheme
48. Schemes to aid the students in education, and research in science and technology development within the age group of 10 to 32 years
49. Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture (NHM,HMNEH,NABM)
50. “Per Drop More Crop” component of the Prime Minister Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY)
51. Self Employment Scheme for Rehabilitation of Manual Scavengers (SRMS)
52. Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
53. Permanent Account Number (PAN) card
54. Income tax returns
55. Agri-Clinics and Agri-Business Centres (AC&ABC)
56. Mobile phone connection
57. National Handicraft Development Programme (NHDP)
58. State Extension Programmes for Extension Reforms under ATMA
Aadhaar a possibility for these too?
1. Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) nutrition: The government is mulling how to integrate the ICDS system which provides supplementary nutrition is provided in the form of Take Home Rations to children 6-36 months and pregnant and lactating mothers.
The government said that it was looking at ways to substitute this with cash transfers.
2. Supplementary Nutrition provided at Anganwadi Centres: The scheme provides hot meals for children aged 3-6 years. However the government said that till Aadhaar number is assigned to individuals the benefit will continue to be given through ‘alternative means’ of identification.
“For children upto age of six years, Birth Certificate or any of the specified documents such as production of request for enrolment under Aadhaar or slip issued thereof, Bank pass book, Voter ID card, Ration Card, Kisan photo pass book, Pan card, MGNREGS job card, etc. can be produced as proof of relationship of child with the parent/legal guardian, etc,” the government said.
3. Driving license: Aadhaar numbers could become mandatory for checking multiple driving licences.
4. Rail ticket: The Centre has also been mulling linking booking of rail tickets online with Aadhaar cards.
5. Air ticket: Providing of Aadhaar numbers before passengers take off on flights has also been discussed by the government.
Aadhaar in numbers
As per the government of India's estimates, 112,01,12,468 Aadhaar cards have been issued since January 2009.
Information Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said in a reply to Parliament discussion on Aadhaar that -- 43.4 crore bank accounts linked with Aadhaar. 69.9 crore LPG connections linked with Aadhaar. 17.51 crore ration cards linked with Aadhaar. 868.69 crore MGNREGA accounts linked with Aadhaar. 1.04 crore passports linked with Aadhaar, 1.08 crore PAN cards, 48 lakh pensioners are receiving pension with their Aadhaar cards.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.