G20 Summit: PM Modi's jam-packed 2-day visit concludes with 6 bilaterals on last day
PM Modi and President Joko Widodo discussed ways to deepen bilateral cooperation in trade and investment, defence and maritime fronts.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who was in Osaka, Japan for the two-day G20 Summit, held separate bilateral meetings with leaders of Indonesia, Brazil, Turkey, Australia, Singapore and Chile on Saturday, and discussed a host of key issues. On the last day of the summit, Modi also held his first official engagement with Indonesian President Joko Widodo. Key Highlights of the day were:
1. PM Modi and President Joko Widodo discussed ways to deepen bilateral cooperation in trade and investment, defence and maritime fronts, and the same was tweeted by the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) as, "Beginning Day 2 of the #G20 Summit by meeting a valued friend. PM @narendramodi holds talks with President @jokowi on ways to deepen India-Indonesia cooperation." the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) tweeted.
2. In another tweet, Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said, "Taking forward the comprehensive strategic partnership. PM @narendramodi had a productive meeting with Indonesian President @jokowi on margins of #G20Summit. Discussed expanding cooperation in trade & investment, defence, maritime, space & exchanged views on Indo-Pacific vision".
3. The Prime Minister Modi also met Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro and held wide-ranging discussions on bilateral relationship, specially cooperation in trade and investment, agriculture and bio-fuels in the context of climate change.
4. Raveesh Kumar tweeted, "Deepening the close & multifaceted strategic partnership. PM @narendramodi & Brazilian President @jairbolsonaro held wide-ranging discussions on bilateral relationship, specially cooperation in trade & investment, agriculture & bio-fuels in the context of climate change."
5. Modi then met Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and held talks on a host of key issues including trade and investment, defence and counter-terrorism. According to Kumar, the two leaders' discussions focused on trade and investment, defence, counter-terrorism, IT and civil aviation.
6. The PMO tweet said, "The interactions in Osaka continue. A productive meeting with President @RTErdogan on the sidelines of the #G20 Summit. Both leaders talked about the strong development partnership between India and Turkey."
More than 20 engagements in three days!
PM @narendramodi concludes his 3-day high-energy diplomacy to Osaka. Attended the #G20 Summit, along with 9 Bilaterals, 8 pull-aside meetings, 2 plurilaterals, 1 multilateral on the margins the #G20 Summit. pic.twitter.com/Y9PDU9Njns
— Raveesh Kumar (@MEAIndia) June 29, 2019
7. With Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison, the Prime Minister Modi had "good discussions on enhancing cooperation in sports, mining technology, defence and maritime cooperation and Indo-Pacific". The bonhomie between Morrison and Modi was on full display when the Australian Prime Minister tweeted a selfie with his Indian counterpart and praised him in Hindi "Kithana acha he Modi!". The message went viral.
8. Modi replied to his tweet by saying he was "stoked" about the energy of the India-Australia relations. The PM then had pull-aside meetings with his Singaporean counterpart Lee Hsien Loong and Chilean President Sebastian Pinera and exchanged views on strengthening bilateral relations.
9. Earlier on Friday, Modi held bilateral and plurilateral meetings with many leaders, including US President Donald Trump, Russian president Vladimir Putin and China's Xi Jinping.
10 Modi held nine bilateral meetings with the leaders of Japan, the US, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Germany, Indonesia, Brazil, Turkey and Australia; eight pull-aside meetings with Thailand, Vietnam, the World Bank, the UNSG, France, Italy, Singapore and Chile; two plurilaterals -- JAI (Japan-America-India) and RIC (Russia-India-China); one multilateral meeting of BRICS and four G20 sessions and a community event.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.