- Foreign portfolio investors' exodus continues for 9th month; withdraw Rs 50,203 cr from equity market in June - know reasons
- Windfall tax to recoup most of Rs 1 lakh cr revenue lost in excise cuts, industry sources say
- D-Mart Q1 revenue jumps almost 2-fold to Rs 9,806.89 cr
- This Android malware switches off Wi-Fi and drain mobile wallet
- North Korea says US, South Korea-Japan agreement materialises US plan for 'Asian NATO'
Budget 2019 Expectations: Gem and jewellery industry seeks lower customs duty on gold
The gem and jewellery industry on Monday approached the government for reduction in customs duty on gold in the Union Budget for the fiscal 2019-20.
The gem and jewellery industry on Monday approached the government for reduction in customs duty on gold in the Union Budget for the fiscal 2019-20, to be tabled in Parliament on July 5. At present, the customs duty on gold is 10 per cent.
"We have sent recommendations to the Ministry of Finance for lowering it to four per cent," Vice-Chairman of All India Gem & Jewellery Domestic Council, Shankar Sen, said. Sen told reporters here that reduction of duty on gold would check smuggling in a big way.
"We have done calculations and found that the resultant loss of government revenue will be compensated by reining in smuggling activities, which will become less attractive," he said.
Another positive outcome would be lower prices of gold, Sen said.
The council has also urged the government to allow EMI purchases of jewellery, which the RBI currently does not allow, as gold is declared an asset class.
Sen added that the gem and jewellery body has suggested implementation of the gold monetisation scheme in a revised manner.
The council also said it will organise a two-day conclave 'Manthan' on July 2 and July 3 in Mumbai.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.