XUV300 Review: What all this Mahindra SUV offer? Check its performance on features, engine, looks, design and tech innovations
Right from the launch of Mahindra XUV300, it was expected that this compact SUV, which is based on the X100 platform of SsangYong, will start ruling the auto market and the hearts of car enthusiasts...but, XUV300 surpassed even all those towering expectations. Noteworthy, XUV300 was the 2nd highest selling sub-4 metre SUV in April 2019 in the Indian automotive market. We, at Zee Business Online, recently drove this popular SUV, so here is what we found out:-
Exterior, design language, looks, colours
As soon as you get the first glimpse of Mahindra XUV300, you get a feeling of a well-crafted product. It has a cheetah-inspired design. The XUV300 shares its platform with the SsangYong Tivoli, which is a globally successful product that has sold over 2.6 lakh units in 50+ countries since its launch in 2015. The Tivoli has also received multiple safety and ergonomic awards including a Grade 1 safety award from 2015 KNCAP (Korean New Car Assessment Program), automotive safety test.
XUV300 is available in 6 monotone colours & 2 dual-tone colours: Red Rage, Aqua Marine, Sunburst Orange, Pearl White, Napoli Black, D-Sat Silver, Dual Tone White roof on Red Rage and Aqua Marine (only on W8 optional pack). Out of all the colour options available, Red Rage and Napoli Black are the ones clearly stand out.
It carries first-in-segment - Longest wheelbase (2600 mm). It has an aggressive front grille, chiselled body. XUV300 comes 'illuminated' with projector headlamps and striking LED Daytime Running Lamps. Moreover, it has sporty, 43.18 cm Diamond Cut Alloys.
1. Stylish dual-tone colours (only on W8 optional pack)
2. Floating roof design gives it a cool look
3. DRLs are strikingly different
4. Aggressive front grille gives it a muscular look
5. LED taillamps are unique in nature
6. 43.18 cm diamond cut alloys is icing on its sporty look cake
7. Classy dual-tone roof rails
8. Side cladding has a sturdy impression
As soon as you enter the Mahindra XUV300, you come across a number of striking things - ample space, best-in-segment width of 1,821mm, longest-in-degment wheelbase of 2,600mm and a flat floor can comfortably seat 3 passengers in the 2nd row.
Moreover, it has a dual-tone dashboard and electric sunroof with anti-pinch function. Even while driving it becomes too easy to enjoy sunroof simply with a push of a button.
Premium leatherette seats with bolsters, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and an impressive gear knob give you a luxurious feel.
1. Electric sunroof with anti-pinch function
2. Premium grey leatherette upholstery
3. Leather-wrapped steering & gear knob
4. Dual-tone black & beige dashboard
5. Height-adjustable driver seat
6. 60:40 2nd row split seat
7. Flat floor in 2nd row
8. Adjustable boot floor
9. Height-adjustable front seat belts
10. Thoughtful storage spaces: multi-purpose central console storage, illuminated glove box, bottle holders on all doors, cupholders in rear centre armrest
XUV300 comes equipped with an array of hi-tech features. One of the most interesting things to highlight here is that XUV300 allows you to adjust the air temperature to create separate, customised environment for the driver and front passenger. Also, it has 3 memory slots for your preferred setting.
1. First-in-segment Dual-Zone Fully Automatic Temperature Control
2. 17.78 cm (7”) Touchscreen Infotainment system with GPS navigation, Apple Car Play & Android Auto, ECOSENSE Technology with social media connectivity, Micro Hybrid system
3. Push Button Start/Stop
4. Rear Parking Camera with dynamic assist & 3 park assist modes
5. Steering-Mounted Phone & Audio Controls
6. Blue Sense APP with smart watch connectivity
7. Cruise control
8. Auto-dimming IRVM
9. Multi-colour configurable instrument cluster
10. Tyre position display
Obviously, safety is one of the most important aspects to look at while buying a car, and Mahindra knew it so well. It has been said that XUV300 has fortress-like safety. When it comes to safety, Mahindra XUV300 comes equipped with many best-in-segment and first-in-segment features.
1. First-in-segment 7 airbags including a knee airbag, dual-front, side and curtain airbags
2. First-in-segment* disc brakes on all 4 wheels (*Among Sub 4 meter Compact SUVs).
3. First-in-segment front parking sensors
4. First-in-segment heated ORVMs
5. Electronic stability program with Dynamic Steering Torque, Hydraulic Brake Assist, Rollover Mitigation and Traction Control. Together with Hill Start Assist.
6. ABS & EBD standard across all variants
7. Front & rear fog lamps
8. ISOFIX child seat mounts
9. Tyre-tronics (tyre pressure & temperature monitoring system)
10. Seat belt reminder for all seats
11. 3-point seat belt on all seats
XUV300 scores really big on the performance report card. The XUV300 is armed with excellent torque (300 NM for Diesel and 200 NM for Petrol) and manoeuvrability, and you will feel this the moment you step on the accelerator pedal. The XUV300 gives smooth acceleration with the 6-speed transmission. XUV300 gives a perfect balance of comfortable and thrilling drive experience. It has 3 steering modes.
1. 1.5L Turbo-Diesel engine with electronic variable geometry charger: 85.8KW (115 BHP) power & 300 NM torque
2. 1.2L Turbo Petrol engine: 81KW (110 BHP) power & 200 NM torque
3. 6-speed transmission
4. First-in-segment Smart Steering System: 3 steering modes
FINAL SAY: Should you buy?
The kind of looks, smoothness, comfort, thrill, speed and safety XUV300 offers definitely makes it one of the best compact SUV available in India right now. It's easy to handle with unmatched driving pleasure. Right from pickup to gear shifting to braking, it is super smooth, gives you a sporty feel. Moreover, the interiors and features you get in the car is something add-on keeping in mind its segment. XUV300 (pronounced as XUV 3 double ‘Oh’) can be brought home at an ex-showroom starting price of Rs. 7.90 lakhs for the Petrol W4 variant and Rs. 8.49 lakhs for the Diesel W4 variant (one price applicable across India).
It is available in both petrol and diesel engine options. The XUV300 comes in 3 variants W4, W6 and W8, and one optional pack on the W8 variant. It is available in 6 monotone colours and 2 dual-tone colours: Red Rage, Aqua Marine, Sunburst Orange, Pearl White, Napoli Black, D-Sat Silver, Dual Tone White roof on Red Rage and Aqua Marine (only on W8 optional pack).