Income Tax Return: Mistakes to avoid while filing ITR
Income Tax return: It often happens that taxpayers file returns in a hurry at the eleventh hour and they end up filing the wrong details.
Income Tax return: Income Tax return (ITR) – forms are used to declare net tax liability, claim tax deductions, and report gross taxable income. Income tax filing is a crucial process and it has multiple elements that taxpayers should keep in mind in order to avoid mistakes. It often happens that taxpayers file returns in a hurry at the eleventh hour and they end up filing the wrong details. This leads to a delay in receiving the return and taxpayers may also have to file the revised ITR.
Who should file ITR?
An ITR must be filed by firms or corporations, Hindu Undivided Families (HUFs), and self-employed or salaried individuals with the Income Tax Department of India. Individual taxpayers have a deadline of July 31, while businesses and other entities have a deadline that varies depending on their category.
Here is a list of things to keep in mind while filing an ITR:
-There are various ITR forms from ITR-1 to ITR-7 for various entities. Taxpayers should identify which category they fall into, and, accordingly, fill out the form.
-Make sure to double-check details of PAN, Aadhar, e-mail address, bank account information, and so on in the pre-filled data.
-To calculate the actual TDS/TCS/tax paid, download AIS and Form 26AS. If you notice a discrepancy, discuss it with your employer/tax deductor/bank about it.
- Gather and thoroughly examine the documents that will be used to file ITR, such as bank statements/passbooks, interest certificates, receipts to claim exemptions or deductions, Form 16, Form 26AS (Annual Information Statement), investment proofs, and so on.
- Include all pertinent information such as total income, deductions (if any), interest (if any), taxes paid/collected (if any), and so on in the return.
- Submit your ITR by the due date as not doing so will invite penalties which can range from Rs 1,000 to Rs 10,000.
- The return of income can be filed once all of the details in it have been filled out and confirmed.
- E-verify the return after it has been filed.
Documents required to file ITR
- Pan card
- Form 26AS
- Form 16A, 16B, 16C
- Salary Pay slips
- Bank statements
- Interest certificates
- TDS certificate
- Proof of tax saving investments
Step to file ITR online
Step 1 - Visit https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal/
Step 2 - Register or Log in to the website
Step 3 - Enter the required details
Step 4 - Select the mode of Filing
Step 5 - Select the status
Step 6 - Select the appropriate ITR form
Step 9 - Summary of tax computation
Step 10 - Proceed to validation
Step 11 - Submit the ITR
Catch latest stock market updates here. For all other news related to business, politics, tech, sports and auto, visit Zeebiz.com.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.