New CJI: Who is Sharad Arvind Bobde? Meet next Chief Justice of India - Check key details
Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde will be sworn in as Chief Justice on November 18.
New CJI: It's a very important development as it has been made official now that Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde will become the next Chief Justice of India. The development was confirmed after President Ram Nath Kovind paved the way after signing a warrant on Tuesday appointing him as the next CJI. Here are top things to know:-
- Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde will be sworn in as Chief Justice on November 18
- Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde will serve this post for around 18 months
- Present Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi recommended, on October 18, the name of the second senior-most judge Justice Bobde as his successor.
- Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde will be the 47th CJI. Justice Gogoi was the 46th Chief Justice of India, who took charge on October 3, 2018 and he will demit office on November 17.
- Justice Bobde was part of the five-judge constitution bench hearing the longest running Ayodhya land dispute case in which the judgement is still awaited
- Born on 24.04.1956 at Nagpur, Maharashtra, he is the son of Arvind Shriniwas Bobde.
- Earned B.A. and LL.B. Degrees from Nagpur University.
- Enrolled on the Roll of the Bar Council of Maharashtra in 1978.
- Practiced Law at the Nagpur Bench of the Bombay High Court with appearances in Bombay before the Principal Seat and before the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India for over 21 years.
-Designated as Senior Advocate in 1998.
-Elevated to the Bench of the Bombay High Court on 29th March, 2000, as Additional Judge.
- Sworn in as Chief Justice of Madhya Pradesh High Court on 16th October, 2012.
- Elevated as a Judge of Supreme Court of India on 12th April, 2013.
- Due to retire on 23rd April, 2021