- Nifty breaches key support level on Friday – Will market continue to see correction in upcoming week? Know what analysts say
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi to officially roll out 5G services in India on October 1
- Rupee ‘held back very well’ among peers against USD; RBI & Finance Ministry watching developments, says Sitharaman
- S Jaishankar at UNGA: India on side of those respecting UN Charter and its founding principles
- BPCL signs pact with Brazil's Petrobras to diversify crude oil sourcing
Sensex above 34,000, Nifty on new peak at 10,515
Sensex, which closed at 33,940.30 points on the last trading day of last week, opened higher at 33,980.76 points
Stock benchmarks crossed new milestones today, with the Sensex topping 34,000 for the first time and the Nifty hitting a fresh high of 10,515.
The 30-share index crossed the 34,000-mark by jumping 65.07 points, or 0.19 per cent, to 34,005.37.
The gauge had rallied 184.10 points in the previous session on Friday on the back of strong buying by domestic institutional investors.
There was support from all sectoral indices, driven by technology and oil and gas, with gains of up to 0.90 per cent.
The NSE Nifty spurted 22.10 points, or 0.21 per cent, to a new peak of 10.515.10.
Analysts said domestic institutional buying and interest among retail investors amid robust foreign funds inflows lifted mood.
Meanwhile, foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) bought shares worth a net Rs 107.87 crore while domestic institutional investors (DIIs) had also purchased equities worth a net Rs 371.53 crore on Friday, as per provisional data.
ONGC, Dr Reddy's and TCS surged 1.86 per cent.
Asian stocks were mixed ahead of year-end holidays.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.