- Stock Market Live News Today: Nifty, Sensex gain over 2% each; bank, metal stocks shine
- RBI Monetary Policy Review: Top 20 statements from Governor Shaktikanta Das' MPC address
- 5G rollout: Xiaomi India shares big update on data packs, plans, bundled offers | Interview
- RBI Monetary Policy: Offline Payment Aggregators come under regulatory purview; on parity now with online peers
- Twitter shares update to make video experience better - Step-by-step guide
Indian Railways does a first, to roll out this new e-locomotive
Indian Railways is all set to make possible a stunning new achievement. State-run BHEL on Friday has handed over India's first electric locomotive with a regenerative system developed by the PSU itself to Indian Railways - it has been flagged off from the Jhansi plant.
The regenerative technology helps avoid loss of heat energy when brakes are applied and feeds the energy back to the overhead power lines.
BHEL has developed a state-of-the-art regeneration system through in-house R&D efforts for Indian Railways' fleet of conventional electric locomotives, a company statement said.
The country's first such regenerative 5,000 HP WAG-7 electric locomotive was flagged off from the company's Jhansi plant, it added.
The idea of developing the energy-efficient regeneration system was mooted by Indian Railways and BHEL responded to it by successfully developing the technology in-house, giving an impetus to the Make in India initiative.
Presently, Indian Railways' electric locomotives have a dynamic braking system where the energy generated during application of brakes gets wasted in the form of heat.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.