RCF's working capital depends on its subsidy payment: Umesh Dhatrak, CMD
With the introduction of DBT, we become eligible for payment of subsidies only if the fertiliser is sold to the farmers through POS machine, says Umesh Dhatrak, Chairman & Managing Director, Rashtriya Chemicals & Fertilizers Ltd., during an interview with Zee Business.
With the introduction of DBT, we become eligible for payment of subsidies only if the fertiliser is sold to the farmers through POS machine, says Umesh Dhatrak, Chairman & Managing Director, Rashtriya Chemicals & Fertilizers Ltd. During an interview with Swati Khandelwal, Zee Business, Dhatrak said, "We are competing with low-cost imports from other countries by optimizing our costs". Edited Excerpts:
Q: Fertiliser sector has a substantial subsidy due. Can you provide an expected timeline by which you will receive it through DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer)?
A: Fertiliser sale happens only through DBT. We get eligible for the subsidy payment only if the fertilizer is sold to the farmers through POS machine. Much time is not required to get the subsidy outstanding if the fertiliser is sold through POS machines.
Q: How will it impact your working capital and profit?
A: Working capital depends on our subsidy payment. And, the only thing that has happened with the introduction of DBTs is that we get eligible for payment of subsidies only when fertiliser is sold through POS machines to farmers. Thus, it takes some time and once it is sold to farmers through the POS machines then much time is not required for receipt of the subsidy payment.
Q: Is the government looking at divestment of RCF?
A: No. RCF is yet not named in the divestment list. Already, there is a public holding on 25% shares of RCF while the remaining 75% is held by the government.
Q: Did good monsoons have any impact on the demand of fertilisers?
A: Fertiliser is in good demand and it is available in the market and there is no shortage for it. Although monsoon was a bit late but has been a good one, however, there were floods in some areas. Uncertainty of Monsoon affects fertiliser sales in our country.
Q: What is your current debt level and how much do you plan to reduce it by the end of FY20?
A: Our debt requirements are needed for our working capital. It, debt levels, moves up and down as per the requirement of our projects, internal and joint venture projects.
Q: You have garnered about Rs500 crore by selling a land parcel in recent past. Do you have any further plans to sell land, if yes, then tell about the value that will be garnered through this sell?
A: No, we don't have any access land and there is no point to sell any land as it is required for our factory and township.
Watch Zee Business Live TV
Q: Can you give us an outlook on the chemical business? What sort of margins are you expecting there?
A: Chemical business market is very low. But, we are supposed to compete with low-cost imports from other countries, where gas is available at cheap rates, which reduces their cost of the production cost of chemical. Interestingly, their products are being imported to India and we are supposed to compete with it. We procure gas, LNG from the open market at the rate of around $10-11/MMBtu, however, the chemical producers of those countries, where gas is available in abundance, procure the gas at the rate of $2/MMBtu. Despite this, we competing with them by optimizing our costs.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.