- Mahindra & Mahindra stock hits 52-week high as brokerages bullish on counter post Scorpio-N launch; check target prices
- GST Council meet begins today: Know agendas of Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman's led two-day meeting
- Security deposit on commercial LPG connection goes up by Rs 1050 for 19-kg cylinder; check new rates
- Cash-starved Sri Lanka to end fuel duopoly to ease fuel shortages
- Xiaomi 12S series set to launch with Leica cameras on July 4: Check key details here
Production stalled at Vedanta Resources' Konkola Copper Mines in Zambia
Zambia's Konkola Copper Mines (KCM) is not producing copper, the chief executive of the mining firm`s owner Vedanta Resources said on Friday.
Zambia's Konkola Copper Mines (KCM) is not producing copper, the chief executive of the mining firm`s owner Vedanta Resources said on Friday. Vedanta is fighting Zambia`s decision this month to name a provisional liquidator to run Vedanta Resources' 90,000 tonnes KCM business and said in a statement that it was seeking international arbitration. Legal proceedings in Zambia have been adjourned to June 4.
Zambia`s Chamber of Mines said last week that Africa`s second largest copper producer was at risk of a drastic fall in copper output because of recent tax changes.
"From what we understand, there is not any production coming out of the mine," Vedanta Resources CEO Srinivaan Vekatakrishnan said on a conference call on Friday.
A mining industry source with knowledge of KCM`s operations said it had not been in production for several weeks.
"They owe a lot of money and with no mining taking place for several weeks, even concentrate suppliers want first to be paid outstanding amounts and upfront payments for fresh supplies," the source told Reuters on condition of anonymity. KCM miners were paid this week after a delay of around three days.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.