- IRDAI sets a target of 5 years for life insurance companies for greater penetration; proposes state-level committee
- Dalal Street Corner: Bank, FMCG stocks help Nifty clear crucial hurdle of 15,800; what should investors do on Tuesday?
- Despite windfall tax, brokerages remain bullish on oil & gas stocks; see up to 70% upside on ONGC, Oil India
- Rupee settles flat at 78.94 against US dollar
- Akasa Air showcases crew uniform; conducts proving flight test
Best selling passenger vehicles in May: Maruti Suzuki bags 8 out of 10 spots - Check full list of models
Automotive giant Maruti Suzuki India took everyone by surprise when Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) released the sales figures for the month of May 2019.
Automotive giant Maruti Suzuki India took everyone by surprise when Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) released the sales figures for the month of May 2019. Creating a record, the country's largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki India clinched eight spots on the list of top 10 best-selling passenger vehicles list in May. And, why this feat becomes even more important because the overall automobile market witnessed a sharp decline in May.
Here is the list of eight Maruti Suzuki models which grabbed 8 spots among SIAM's top ten best-selling passenger vehicles list in May:-
- 1st SWIFT: The company's popular hatchback Swift was the best-selling model last month clocking 17,039 units, up from fourth spot in the same month last year when it sold 19,208 units, according to Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM).
- 2nd ALTO: Coming in second was entry level model Alto with sale of 16,394 units as against 21,890 units in year-ago month, retaining the same spot.
- 3rd DZIRE: MSI's compact sedan Dzire sold 16,196 units last month, occupying third position, down from the top spot in the same month last year when it clocked 24,365 units.
- 4th BALENO: Premium hatchback Baleno sold 15,176 units to be at fourth position, down from third in May last year when it registered 19,398 units.
- 5th WagonR: The new WagonR sold 14,561 units retaining the fifth position held by the old WagonR last May with 15,974 units.
- 6th EECO: Making it to the top ten list in a long while was the company's utility van Eeco with 11,739 units last month at sixth spot.
- 9th ERTIGA: Maruti Suzuki's multi-purpose vehicle Ertiga was in the ninth position with 8,864 units.
- 10th VITARA BREZZA: Vitara Brezza with 8,781 units grabbed tenth position. Vitara Brezza was the sixth best selling model in May last year with 15,629 units.
Hyundai bagged 7th and 8th spot
Moreover, Hyundai Motor India's SUV Creta retained its seventh spot last month selling 9,054 units as against 11,004 units in May last year. The company's premium hatchback Elite i20 sold 8,958 units to be in eighth spot, up from ninth in May last year when it clocked 10,664 units
SIAM Sales Figures May 2019
The overall passenger vehicle wholesales in India had witnessed the steepest decline in nearly 18 years, dropping by over 20 per cent in May to 2,39,347 units against 3,01,238 units in the year-ago month.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.