- IPO: 11 public offers raise Rs 33,000 cr between April-June FY23; 17 more in pipeline
- Rakesh Jhunjhunwala-backed Akasa Air first commercial flight flagged off by Civil Aviation Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia on this
- IRDAI to rename grievance redressal mechanism; complaints can be filed in regional languages soon
- Market next week: Global cues, macro numbers, last batch of earnings to dictate D-Street in holiday-truncated week: Experts
- Eight of top-10 valued firms add Rs 98,235 cr in m-cap; Infosys, TCS lead gainers
U.S. wants Western tech to be used instead of Huawei kit
The United States wants to steer people away from Huawei towards Western products because of its concerns over the security of the Chinese company`s technology, the U.S. envoy to the European Union said on Thursday.
Gordon Sondland said that there was classified evidence on security breaches by the Chinese firm, saying he had raised the U.S. concerns with EU officials.
"The U.S. is very supportive of the discouraging the purchase of any Chinese digital products that involve potential national security implications and steering people away from Huawei into Western products is our desired outcome," Sondland told Reuters before an event in Brussels.
Huawei is the world`s largest supplier of telecommunications network equipment and second-biggest maker of smartphones. It derives nearly half of its total revenue outside China and its global reach has come under attack from the United States, which is trying to prevent U.S. companies from buying Huawei equipment and is pressing allies to do the same.
U.S. security experts are worried the gear could be used by China for espionage, a concern Huawei says is unfounded
Asked about security issues with Huawei`s products, Sondland said: "There is a lot of evidence, most of it classified."
The EU is considering proposals that would amount to a de-facto ban on Huawei kit for next-generation mobile networks, Reuters reported on Wednesday.
The United States and Australia are among Western nations that have already restricted Huawei from the 5G mobile networks.
(This article has not been edited by Zeebiz editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.