- Stock Market Live News Today: Nifty, Sensex gain over 2% each; bank, metal stocks shine
- RBI Monetary Policy Review: Top 20 statements from Governor Shaktikanta Das' MPC address
- 5G rollout: Xiaomi India shares big update on data packs, plans, bundled offers | Interview
- RBI Monetary Policy: Offline Payment Aggregators come under regulatory purview; on parity now with online peers
- Twitter shares update to make video experience better - Step-by-step guide
One year on, Prabhu hails DeMon; calls it a crucial step
Demonitisation was one of the crucial decisions of the Modi government against the black money and now the country is progressing towards a digital economy, Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu said today.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi showed courage to take such a bold step, Prabhu told a press conference at the party office here.
On completion of one year of demonitisation, Prabhu said that the historic move delivered positive results and it was a severe blow to the black money.
"The government is serious against the black money and has been taking steps curb it. Demonetisation was one of the crucial decisions against the illegal wealth," Prabhu said.
He said demonetisation benefited the common man and small traders and the economy is progressing from cash to digital economy. The minister said that public supported the decision.
When asked about the deaths which occurred after demonetisation, he said it was just a misconception.
He informed that Income Tax department took action against shell companies and 56 lakh new individual tax payers filed their returns this year.
The minister also claimed that reduction in incidences of stone pelting, protests in Jammu and Kashmir and naxal activities was also the result of demonitisation.
"Demonitisation has bridled terror funding and broken the back of terrorists," he said.
(This article has not been edited by Zeebiz editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.