H1B workers may work for more than one employer: USCIS
The H1B visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows US companies to employ foreign workers in speciality occupations that require theoretical or technical expertise.
Foreign workers in the US on a H1B work visa, the most sought after among Indian IT professionals, may work for more than one company, the country's immigration agency has said.
The H1B visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows US companies to employ foreign workers in speciality occupations that require theoretical or technical expertise. The technology companies depend on it to hire tens of thousands of employees each year from countries like India and China.
"In general, H1B workers may work for more than one employer but must have approved I-129 for each," the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the federal agency which receives and determines the successful applications for H1B visas, tweeted yesterday..
EPFO extends deadline to upload details by employers for higher pension option by 3-month till Dec 31
Amidst India-Canada row over Khalistan terrorist killing, Indian envoy to UK stopped from entering Scotland Gurdwara
Guaranteed Pension System (GPS) vs Old Pension Scheme (OPS): Which pension scheme offers maximum retirement benefits?
"New employer must submit an I-129 petition before you may begin working," the USCIS said.
Form I-129 is a form submitted for a non-immigrant worker to the USCIS used by employers or prospective employers to obtain (or amend the details of) a worker on a non-immigrant visa status.
While this is not a new rule, but very few people know about it.
The H1B visa has an annual numerical limit cap of 65,000 visas each fiscal year as mandated by the Congress. The first 20,000 petitions filed on behalf of beneficiaries with a US master's degree or higher are exempt from the cap.
Additionally, H1B workers who are petitioned for or employed at an institution of higher education or its affiliated or related nonprofit entities or a nonprofit research organisation or a government research organisation are not subject to this numerical cap.
Meanwhile, an American think-tank, the Cato Institute in a report said that in 2015, a total of
56 per cent of all supposed employment-based green cards went to the family members of workers. The other 44 per cent went to the workers themselves.
If family members were exempted from the quota or there was a separate green card category for them, an additional 76,711 highly skilled immigrant workers could have earned a green card in 2015 without increasing the quota.
According to the institute, about 85 per cent of those who received an employment-based green card in 2015 were already legally living in the US.
"They were able to adjust their immigration status from another type of visa, like an H-1B or F visa, to an employment-based green card. Exempting some or all of the adjustments of status from the green card cap would almost double the number of highly skilled workers who could enter," it said.
In a blog post, Immigration Attorney Tsion Chudnovsky said immigration lawyers are seeing a big change in how visas are being processed in 2017 and many expect denial rates to increase to 40 per cent in this year's H1B cap. The USCIS has started challenging H1Bs which would have no problem being approved in the past, she said.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.
Amazon Great Indian Festival Sale: SBI, ICICI Bank and other credit card offers, cashback and discounts
Small savings schemes: Five-year recurring deposit will make more money for you in December quarter; this is the new interest rate
Plaza Wires IPO hits Street: Issue price, subscription status, listing date, other key details to know
Kerala Weather Update: Heavy rain lashes parts of Thiruvananthapuram, IMD sounds yellow alert in all districts
Flipkart Big Billion Days Sale 2023: iPhone, Google Pixel, Samsung Galaxy, and Motorola; best phones under Rs 60K-Rs 1.5 lakh category
Flipkart Big Billion Days Sale 2023: Samsung, Redmi, Realme, Poco and more; best phones under Rs 15,000