- LIC IPO listing on Tuesday: Public insurer may see flat listing amid weak market sentiment – know what analysts say
- LIC IPO Listing To Be LIVE Tomorrow: Finally, date is here! 10 things to know before LIC lists its shares on NSE, BSE on Tuesday
- Dalal Street Corner: Market participants must remain cautious till Nifty sees reversal; do this when exchanges reopen on Tuesday
- IndiGo inappropriately handled specially challenged child says DGCA in its investigation report
- Q4 Results 2022: GlaxoSmithKline, Greenply Industries, Century Plyboards, Raymond announce March quarter results; here are key h
Online gaming startup Dream11 enters India's 'unicorn' club
Dream11 on Tuesday became India`s first gaming startup to be valued at over $1 billion after its latest round of investment, joining the country`s fast-growing "unicorn" club.
Dream11 on Tuesday became India`s first gaming startup to be valued at over $1 billion after its latest round of investment, joining the country`s fast-growing "unicorn" club. The gaming platform, which has a 90 percent market share in the Indian fantasy sports market according to a IFSG-KPMG report, allows users to create teams for different sports.
The company on Tuesday announced the completion of a secondary investment by hedge fund Steadview Capital to cross the billion mark. Dream11 declined to disclose the terms of the deal. The deal involves a secondary sale of shares by investors Kalaari Capital, Think Investments and Multiples Equity to Asia-focused Steadview. The gaming platform, which expects to end the year with 100 million users, also counts Tencent Holdings Ltd as one of its backers.
Dream11 has partnerships with sports bodies and leagues such as the International Cricket Council and the National Basketball Association among others. Users pay an entry fee to participate in paid contests and the company makes money by charging a platform fee from the total pool collected.
Watch this Zee Business video:
Dream11 has however faced legal challenges due to the similarities of fantasy gaming to gambling, which is largely illegal in India. Its legitimacy was challenged in a court in India, which ruled that fantasy gaming involves skill rather than chance, according to a report in April last year.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.