Government to ban 59 Chinese apps, including TikTok, ByteDance, UC Browser, permanently? 'Not satisfied with explanations'- Check this out
The government had banned several Chinese apps, including TikTok, ByteDance, UC Browser and others, since the last year when India and Chinese forces clashed with each other in Ladakh region.
This was the first deadly clash in the border area in at least 45 years. Taking the aggressive stance of Chinese forces seriously, India had responded by banning several Chinese apps Since the clash in June last year.
Government mulls permanent ban
Fresh notice by government
Response sought from TikTok, Tencent Holdings WeChat and UC Browser
When it first imposed the ban, the government gave the 59 apps a chance to explain their position on compliance with privacy and security requirements, Reuters said quoting Indian media reports. The companies, which include ByteDance`s popular video-sharing app TikTok, Tencent Holdings` WeChat and Alibaba`s UC Browser, were also asked to respond to a list of questions. Source: Reuters
'Not satisfied with the response/explanation'
"The government is not satisfied with the response/explanation given by these companies. Hence, the ban for these 59 apps is permanent now," said media reports. According to it, the notices were issued last week. The Ministry's June order stated that the apps were "prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, the security of the state and public order". Source: Reuters
India's "digital strike"
The order, which India referred to as a "digital strike", followed a skirmish with Chinese troops at a disputed Himalayan border site when 20 Indian soldiers were killed. In September, India banned another 118 mobile apps, including Tencent`s popular videogame PUBG, as it stepped up the pressure on Chinese technology companies following the standoff at the border. Source: PUBG Corp
TikTok representative reply
A TikTok representative was quoted as saying that the company was evaluating the notice and will respond to it as appropriate. "We are evaluating the notice and will respond to it as appropriate. TikTok was among the first companies to comply with the Government of India directive issued on June 29, 2020. We continually strive to comply with local laws and regulations and do our best to address any concerns the government may have. Ensuring the privacy and security of all our users remains to be our topmost priority," a Tik Tok official said, according to PTI. Source: Reuters