Want to do net banking, but worried about losing money? Follow these tips to avoid any loss
ATM/Debit card fraud, net banking fraud, skimming, phishing and vishing have become rampant and almost every day one or another person is losing their hard earned money.
Like all other people out there, you may also have heard or read about the rise in financial fraud and people losing money to fraudsters. ATM/Debit card fraud, net banking fraud, skimming, phishing and vishing have become rampant and almost every day one or another person is losing their hard earned money. Incidents like these have deterred many people from coming into the digital banking fold. There are also many sites which exactly resemble your bank's website. While the fraudsters and hackers becoming more tech-savvy and smart but you can outsmart them by adhering to simple safety tips issued by banks and the Reserve Bank of India. Below are some safety tips for the bank customers:
Net Banking Users
If you are net banking user, you should be careful while visiting your bank's site. Follow these tips:
* Only use sites with https
* Avoid banking on free networks
* Regularly change and do not share password/PIN with anyone
* Avoid searching for your bank's net banking login page on search engines. Try to remember it and type manually in the URL bar.
ATM/Debit Card users:
* Please sign on the reverse of the card immediately on receipt.
* Never keep the PIN with the debit card or write on it. Always memorize it.
* Do not provide the ATM card and PIN details to anyone, including Bank/IBA/RBI/Govt. agency/family/friends, etc
* Change your ATM PIN regularly.
* Hide the keypad while keying in your PIN at ATM/POS terminals.
* While making payment at PoS terminals, insist on swiping your card in your presence in hotels/shops/malls, etc.
* Block and destroy your old card, when you get a new one.
Watch This Zee Business Video
Also, a bank customer should register his/her mobile number and email with their bank to get instant alerts. If you get an alert about a transaction that you have not initiated or authorised, you can immediately take it up with your bank. Also, you should get your ATM/Debit card, Credit Card, Prepaid Card blocked immediately, if it is lost, stolen or misused.