Planning an overseas trip? 5 hacks to save money
What is the reason why most Indians drop international travel plans? Probably, the cost involved. Pick any destination and you would end up putting a hole in your pocket by the time the journey comes to an end. However, the cost involved could be brought down significantly if you know a few hacks.
What is the reason why most Indians drop international travel plans? Probably, the cost involved. Pick any destination and you would end up putting a hole in your pocket by the time the journey comes to an end. However, the cost involved could be brought down significantly if you know a few hacks. Rahul Singh, CEO and co-founder of Ithaka a company that helps you create bespoke travel plans by connecting you to travel experts and travel influencers, lists five such hacks that can help you save money on an overseas trip.
1. Budget Well - The most crucial step you can take towards saving on cost is to set up a travel budget. The cost of an international trip is high, but a set budget can save you plenty. Once you’ve finalized your destination/s, make sure you research enough about the country - the average cost of food, accommodation, the currency exchange rates etc.
2. Book your tickets well in advance - If you are planning to travel during the peak season, it is best to book your tickets in advance. Keep an eye out for prices and discounts offered by the airlines and capitalize on any discounts or offers. Look up fare options on different websites - this will help you make a sound decision.
WATCH Zee Business TV LIVE Streaming Online -
3. Pick an accommodation best suited to you - Skip the fancy hotels and opt for a local stay through AIRBNB instead, or pick a hostel even. This will not only help you get a real flavour of the place, you will also save a ton of money and meet many new people.
4. Smart commuting - If you plan to visit more than one place in a country, it is best to explore the various modes of transport available. Research well to know about local travel deals, e.g. travel cards - these help you save a fair bit as you traverse the country (yes, it also helps to book these in advance). When travelling within a city, consider exploring it on a bicycle - most countries now have ‘rent a bicycle’. Or simply walk around - nothing replaces the sheer joy of scouting hidden gems on foot. You could also get a ‘city travel information guide’ (available at most airports) to help with the best commuting options.
5. Prepare a plan - Apart from the planning your logistics, it would serve you well to read up on the place you are visiting. While it isn’t necessary that you stick to your plan entirely, a tentative structure will help you stay within budget. Even if you wish to explore a city like a local, do so with a rough plan at the minimum.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.