Over 9.3 crore PANs linked with Aadhaar, this is how you can link yours before August 31
Though to file Income Tax Return, taxpayers were required to provide just Aadhaar number, but to process that IT return, taxpayers need to link PAN with Aadhaar. This is how you can do.
More than 9.3 crore Permanent Account Numbers (PAN) were linked to Aadhaar till August 5, as suggested by Income Tax Department.
The government had made PAN-Aadhaar linking mandatory for filing Income Tax Return (ITR) and for getting new PAN from July 1.
However, considering the complaints and to avoid confusion, the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) on July 31, extended the deadline for linking the two unique numbers till August 31.
Reportedly, there are about 30 crore PAN numbers allotted, while Aadhaar has been allotted to about 115 crore people. At the same time, I-T Department had deactivated over 11 lakh PAN after finding them to be fake or duplicate.
For ITR filing, the Income Tax department had said that the taxpayers were need to quote only Aadhaar number but to process the IT return, the taxpayers were need to link PAN with Aadhaar.
Which means, if you are still waiting for the last day (August 31) to get the unique numbers linked, then do not, simply because it will halt your IT return process.
To make the linking process simpler, the I-T department has introduced easy steps on its official website.
1. Go to www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in abd click on 'Link Aadhaar' option.
2. Provide your PAN, Aadhaar number and enter name exactly as given on Aadhaar card and submit. After verification from Unique Identification Authority of India the linking will be confirmed.
But, if you are not registered on Income Tax website, then you have to follow these steps:
1. Log on to www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. if are not already registered at the income tax e-filing portal then do so this time. Then log in to the portal by entering your Login ID, password and date of birth,
2. After logging, a pop up window will appear prompting you to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card. If a pop up does not appear, click on a blue tab named ‘Profile Settings’ and click on ‘Link Aadhaar’.
3. All your details like name, date of birth and gender will already mentioned there, verify the details on screen with ones mentioned on your Aadhaar card.
4. If the details match, enter your Aadhaar card number and captcha code and click on the “Link now” button.
5. On completion of the process, a pop-up message will inform you about successful linkage.
Further, you can also link PAN with Aadhaar using SMS facility. A taxpayer can link Aadhar with PAN by sending an SMS to either 567678 or 56161.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.