Income tax returns (ITR) filing: Here are 11 easy tips you can benefit from
Income tax returns (ITR) filing: In case you missed the deadline to file your income tax returns, you still can take this step. Here are some of the Income tax returns (ITR) filing tips that can be adhered to to avoid any mistakes or errors.
Income tax returns (ITR) filing: The silly season is upon us and every earning person in this country is racking his or her brain to try and save as much of their income from the taxman. Well, the government has offered a number of tax saving measures and options that leave a lot of money in the pockets of taxpayers even as it takes its due sums diligently and threatens recalcitrant persons with penalties and even jail terms. So, it is important, even critical, to get this side of your earnings in order in order to sleep peacefully at night.
In case you missed the deadline to file your income tax returns, you still can take this step. Here are some of the Income tax returns (ITR) filing tips that can be adhered to to avoid any mistakes or errors.
Here is a checklist to start filling the income tax returns filing:
1. Have your PAN ready
2. Make sure you have an Aadhaar card
3. Get Form 16/16A from your employer/ payers
4. Use Form 26AS (which is electronic tax credit statement)
5. Collect detail of your assets if your income exceeds Rs 50 lakh
6. Gather proof of investments made to claim deduction
7. Reconcile your income with your bank statements of all the accounts in operation in India
Different Modes of filling the income tax returns (ITR)
8. By furnishing the return in a paper form (for specified category of taxpayers)
9. By furnishing the return electronically under digital signature
10. By transmitting the data in the return electronically under electronic verification code
11. By transmitting the data in the return electronically and thereafter submitting the verification of the return in Return Form ITR-V
On e-filing of income tax return, an acknowledgment is generated by the Income Tax Department in a form named as ITR V. This ITR V is issued in pdf format and remains password protected. The password remains Permanent Account Number of the assessee in short case followed by his date of birth/its date of formation.
So, what are you waiting for? Now that you have all the basic knowledge required for income tax returns (ITR) filing, rush and do so immediately!
By Taranpreet Singh & Rohit Grover
(The authors are senior tax professionals with TASS Advisors LLP. The views expressed are personal).
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.