Income Tax Return filing: Only 7 days left! Still, have these questions on ITR forms?
Income Tax Return filing: For the assessment year 2019-20 (financial year 2018-19), only seven days are left to file income tax returns for individuals who come under the tax slab. If you could not file income tax return after the due date, August 31, 2019, you will have to pay a penalty amount ranging from Rs 5,000 to Rs 10,000 depending on the degree of delay. You can file Income tax return online through the Income Tax department's e-filing portal- incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. If you have any confusion, you should visit the department's official website as most of your questions will find answers.
The Central Board of Direct Taxes has recently issued a clarification in respect of filling-up of the ITR forms for the Assessment Year 2019-20. It said, "The Income-tax return (ITR) forms for the Assessment Year (AY) 2019-20 were notified vide notification bearing G.S.R. 279(E). dated the 1st day April, 2019. Subsequently, the instructions for filing ITR forms were issued and the software utility for e-filing of all the ITR forms were also released."
The notification has addressed to certain queries related to the ITR forms while filling-up the returns. A few of these are given below:
1. I am a non-resident. The Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) is not allotted in my jurisdiction of residence. How do I report the same in the column on “residential status”?
Answer: In case TIN has not been allotted in the jurisdiction of residence, the passport number should be mentioned instead of TIN. Name of the country in which the passport was issued should be mentioned in the column “jurisdiction of residence”.
2. I am a director in a foreign company which does not have PAN. How do I report the same against the column “Whether you were Director in a company at any time during the previous year?”
Answer: You should choose “foreign company” in the drop-down provided for “type of company”. In such case, PAN is not mandatory. However, PAN should be mentioned, if such foreign company has been allotted a PAN.
3. Whether an individual who is a non-resident, or resident but not ordinary resident (RoNR) is also required to disclose details of his directorship in a foreign company which does not have any income accruing or arising in India?
4. I have held shares of a company during the previous year, which are listed in a recognized stock exchange outside India. Whether I am required to report the requisite details against the column “Whether you have held unlisted equity shares at any time during the previous year?”
5. I have held equity shares of a company which were previously listed in a recognised stock exchange, but delisted subsequently, and became unlisted. How do I report PAN of company in the column “whether you have held unlisted equity shares at any time during the previous year”?
Answer: In such cases, PAN of the company may be furnished if it is available. In case PAN of delisted company cannot be obtained, you may enter a default value in place of PAN, as “NNNNN0000N”.
6. In case unlisted equity shares are acquired or transferred by way of gift, will, amalgamation, merger, demerger, or bonus issue etc., how to report the “cost of acquisition” and “sale consideration” in the relevant column?
Answer: You may enter zero or the appropriate value against “cost of acquisition” or “sale consideration” in such cases. Please note that the details of unlisted equity shares held during the year are required only for the purpose of reporting. The quantitative details entered in this column are not relevant for the purpose of computation of total income or tax liability.
7. I hold shares in an unlisted foreign company which has been duly reported in the Schedule FA. Whether I am required to report the same again in the column “Whether you have held unlisted equity shares at any time during the previous year?”
8. I have held unlisted equity shares as stock-in-trade of business during the previous year. Whether I have to report the same in the column “Whether you have held unlisted equity shares at any time during the previous year?”
9. Please clarify whether holding of equity shares of a Co-operative Bank or Credit Societies, which are unlisted, are required to be reported?
Answer: The details of equity shareholding in any entity which is registered under the Companies Act, and is not listed on any recognised stock exchange, is only required to be reported.
10. I have sold land and building to a non-resident. Whether I need to report the PAN of buyer in the table A1/B1 in Schedule CG?
Answer: As mentioned in ITR form, quoting of PAN of buyer is mandatory only if tax is deducted under section 194-IA or is mentioned in the documents.
If you have any other query, you should click at the link given here to get the answer:
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.