Fear bank debit card fraud? Play safe, follow these 6 tips
The greatest benefit a debit card has is that you do not need to visit your branch for major financial transactions like cash deposit, removing or transferring money, etc.
A debit card has become an important part of people's lives, especially considering the host of services one can access from this card. While opening a bank account, every branch gives debit card, cheque and passbook as a kit for using that account. The greatest benefit a debit card has is that you do not need to visit your branch for major financial transactions like cash deposit, removing or transferring money, etc. In fact, the use of debit card is not limited to removing money, but also an individual can use it for paying bills, mobile recharge, booking train or air tickets, shopping and much more. Hence, it is very important that, the debit card we use does not fall in the wrong hands or is open to any type of fraud.
These days, fraudulent practices have also advanced with the change in technology. Debit cards can easily fall prey to the hands of a scammer, even without the need of really robbing the physical cards.
Hence, here’s a list of 6 tips to use your debit card fraud free.
1. Firstly, stay away from any sort of suspicious communications either through mails, mobile posing as being from your bank. It needs to be noted that, spam mails and SMS are some common ways to dupe you by a scammer who is posing as a company or bank and other agencies. They ask you your bank account details or PIN number with threat or scary messages. By stealing your information, they can fool you and carry an unauthorized transactions. In such cases, first note that, your bank will never ask details over SMS or mails. If you come across such situation, visit directly to your bank and verify the issue.
2. Avoid handing your debit card to anyone even if he or she is your family, sister, brother, spouse, child or any relatives. This is one of the most important guidelines given by RBI, that not to let anyone have an access of your debit card as the misuse of PIN number has higher probability in such cases. Hence, do not reveal your PIN to anyone.
3. Always advisable to check your bank account balances on a daily basis. This helps you in being aware of every transaction you have carried from your bank account using a debit card. In case, if there is any suspicious or unauthorized transaction, you will be easily able to spot that and accordingly inform your bank for claiming the losses.
4. Update your debit card PIN number occasionally. A good and strong password, eliminates or minimises the terror of unauthorized transactions. Have a password which has two-factor authentication, or a combination of alphabets, numerics and special signs.
5. Never opt for autofills. Generally, an individual use their credit card for different transactions on their laptop or computer. What happens is, when you store your card details, the browser usually stores your details. That is why, you do not come across of adding same information next time. By not opting for autofills, you eliminate the error of being hacked.
6. If you have lost your debit card, block it immediately. This should be done almost that moment when you realise you have lost your debit card, as it may fall into the wrong hands and be misused. You can block your debit card at a bank’s toll number, SMS and even internet banking. The bank will issue you with new card within 2-3 days time.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.