Bank customer? Know how your ATM card is compromised, money and secret information are stolen
Normally, when we use our debit card and swipe our card we think that the machine, where we use card for transaction , is trustworthy. But in many cases, it is not.
Technological developments have proven to be both boon and curse for an individual. As we are moving towards digitalisation and using plastic money, it is also becoming increasingly difficult to keep out personal data safe. Although technology has helped ease the daily lives of an individual, at the same time it is becoming hard to save oneself from fraud.
If you are a debit card or credit card user then this message is for you. Normally, when we use our debit card and swipe our card we think that the machine, where we use card for transaction, is trustworthy. But in many cases, it is not.
In recent years, there have been many reports of cases where either an individual bank account has been hacked or a person has been lured to give their financial credentials to fraudsters. This is done through different means like cloning of cards, hacking the account, generating the duplicate card etc.
Reports say there are many types of card skimmer devices from which all the information of your account and card is listed to the attached computer or laptop after you swipe the credit-debit card. The information is then transferred into an empty card and can be misused. Many a times, a duplicate or cloned credit-debit card looks like the original.
Apart from the card skimmer devices, fraudsters has people's account by generating a fake bank website or other websites which confuse and lure the customers into sharing their details.
Watch Zee Business Tweet Video here:
— Zee Business (@ZeeBusiness) January 12, 2019
Not only the customers but also the banks sometimes face the issue of fraud, as cybercriminals create a fake e-mail ID similar to that of the card holder's email ID and ask for the bank details and get the secret details of the account holder through bank.
To keep your money safe, SBI suggests eight golden tips:
1. Avoid using your internet banking facility from a cyber cafe or any other sources other than yours
2. Try to change the password of your internet banking account on regular basis.
3. Only visit the website by clicking the correct link which is https://www.onlinesbi.com only. Avoid entering the shortcuts as the wrong link can harm your account.
4. Try to virtual keyboard to enter the user id and password on websites.
5. Avoid entering sensitive information in the pop up messages. Assist SBI to stop phishing and report such incidents to email@example.com
6. Try to track your transactions frequently and usage history.
7. Use new software on your system with secure settings.
8. More information about secure online banking can be found at https://www.onlinesbi.com/phishing_securitytips.html.
For instance, in recent years, there have been many reports where either an individual bank account is being hacked or a person has been lured to give their financial credentials to fraudsters.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.