15 ultimate tips for safe Credit Card, ATM/Debit Card transactions as a new crime makes news
Safe Credit Card, ATM Card Transaction Tips: Even a few moments of lack of attention can prove costly! Recently, a number of ATM card users became victims in the capital city of Jharkhand - Ranchi.
Safe Credit Card, ATM Card Transaction Tips: Even a few moments of lack of attention can prove costly! Recently, a number of ATM card users became victims in the capital city of Jharkhand - Ranchi. The matter, which was reported in the local media, came to light after police arrested three people involved in cloning ATM cards and withdrawing lakhs of rupees from accounts of innocent users. The fraudsters used to pick their victims mostly in shopping malls who were out to do some shopping against their cards. For this, they used to do a recce in the malls, take pictures of users' cards secretly and observe the PIN numbers. Thereafter, they used to clone the cards and withdraw money.
Fraudsters are finding it hard to carry out their crimes on the teller machine premises, but they find it easy to target shoppers in malls. The Ranchi case is a timely reminder of why you should always follow the best practices while making transactions with ATM/Debit or Credit cards:
Here are some of the important safety measures suggested by leading banks:
ATM transactions, shopping with Debit cards
1. Make sure no one sees you entering the PIN (personal identification number) while withdrawing from the ATM. For shopping with ATM card, use it only where you can trust the merchant. Also, you should never allow the shopkeeper to take your card to a different shop/room for swiping it. And ensure, no one is spying on you.
2. Never take any assistance from a stranger in the ATM room. After completing the transaction, secure the card and cash immediately.
3. Don't hurry. First, count the cash before leaving the ATM area even if there is a large queue outside.
4. Also, never leave the transaction record at the ATM. Banks advise shredding the record before throwing it in the dustbin.
5. Change ATM PIN frequently, at least once in a month.
6. While shopping, secure the Debit Card after completing the purchase. Also, don't forget to take your charge slip(s) and tear up any carbon copies.
7. Match the receipts against your monthly billing statements to verify the card transactions. Immediately report the unauthorised transaction(s) to the bank.
Credit Card transaction
8. While doing online transactions, never click on links, download file or open attachment in emails from unknown senders.
9. Do transactions only on websites having a lock icon on the browser’s status bar or an “https:” URL whereby the “s” stands for “secure” rather than an “HTTP:”.
10. Use One time PIN (OTP) for each transaction on card transactions instead of a one-time password, which can be created and used for all other transactions.
11. Don't do online transactions in a cyber cafe or from a shared computer. In case you have to do this, then immediately change the passwords from your own computer.
12. To ensure the safety of your money, register your mobile number for alerts and update it in the Bank's records if it changes.
13. Axis Bank advises on its official website, "Never sign a blank application form, to be filled in by an agent or bank representative later." Also, never give a photocopy of the back of your card to anyone for any reason, even if it is an application for a new Credit Card.
Watch this Zee Business video
14. Pick a strong PIN code, which can't be guessed easily. Also, change your PIN.
15 Never reveal your personal details and card numbers while responding to any offers suspicious callers.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.