Hurun Global Self Made Women Rich List 2019: Only one Indian in the list; check who made India proud
Hurun Global Self Made Women Rich List 2019: China topped the list with 51 female entrepreneurs, followed by the USA and the UK.
Hurun Global Self Made Women Rich List 2019: The Hurun Research Institute and Mini World today released the Hurun Richest Self-Made Women in the World 2019, a list of the self-made women billionaires in the world. This is the 9th year of the list. The list has a total of 89 self-made women billionaires from 16 countries, which is 13 fewer than last year. There is a slight disappointment for India as no woman from the country has made it to top 10. However, Biocon founder Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw has made India proud as she has been ranked 11th in the list. Shaw jointly shares the position with Zhong Huijuan of China and Judy Faulkner of the US.
China topped the list with 51 female entrepreneurs, followed by the USA and the UK. India, the world's other most populous country, has only one female entrepreneur on the list - Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw.
PIC: Biocon Founder Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw
Hurun Research recalculated the individual wealth of some of the women, separating their wealth from that of their spouses. Wealth is a snapshot of 31 January 2019, drawn from the recently released Loong Palace·Hurun Global Rich List 2019.
“The stories of these 89 self-made women tell the story of women in the modern-day world of business,” said Rupert Hoogewerf, chairman and chief researcher of Hurun Report. “Their spirit of entrepreneurship is an example for many young women looking to become the next Wu Yajun or Oprah Winfrey. Further research needs to be done to understand what it is that has made China such a dominant force for women entrepreneurs. I am delighted to put out the Hurun Richest Self-made Women in the World 2019 together with Mini World.”
Eva Wan Yuhua, Founder and Chairlady of Mini World said, “Mini World uses IoT technology to link Chinese women with the rest of the world. Through the sharing of global resources and wisdom, through our Global Glamour Women's Business School, we are building a new ecosystem and creating new wealth. This new era has given women unlimited opportunities, and they have created tremendous value for the world.”
Below are the key features of the list:
* China Property Queen’ Wu Yajun, 55, takes the title of Richest Self-Made Woman in the World, on back of 13% rise in wealth to US$9.8 billion.
* With a net worth of USD 3.5 Bn, Kiran Mazumdar Shaw (64), is the only Indian in the list.
* 89 self-made women billionaires found in the world, more than double that of 5 years ago, but down 13 on last year
* 57% from China, down 6% from last year, but still far and away the Number One in the world, three times as much as the USA. UK came in third.
* ‘Touchscreen Queen’ Zhou Qunfei, last year’s number One, dropped down 13 places to 14th, losing 63% of wealth to US$3.4 billion on back of share price fall
* Beijing, Shenzhen and Shanghai Top 3 preferred cities for world’s richest self-made women. 5 of Top 6 cities for the world’s most successful women in business in China.
* ‘Hot Pot Queens’ Shu Ping and Li Haiyan of HaiDiLao and ‘Soya Sauce Queens’ Cheng Xue, 49, and Li Xuhui, 51, of Haitian amongst fastest risers
* New faces led by ‘Polyester Queen’ Fan Hongwei, 52, straight into the Top 10 with US$3.9bn, followed by Lu Zhongfang, 77, of China civil service examination training platform Offcn.
* 4 of the 5 youngest self-made women billionaires from China, led by 38-year old China entertainment investor Wu Yan, with US$1.3bn.
* Francoise Bettencourt Meyers, the granddaughter of L’Oréal founder, is the world's richest woman with a fortune of US$49 billion. Of the 20 richest women in the world, 19 inherited and only one, Wu Yajun, is self-made. Of the 20 richest men in the Hurun Global Rich List, 14 are self-made.
* Manufacturing is the main source of wealth, despite losing 6 billionaires last year, followed by real estate, retail and tech
* Two of the Chinese are delegates to the National People's Congress (Chen Ailian) or CPPCC (Zhou Qunfei)
* Total wealth US$2 trillion, down 12.5% from last year. Rupert Hoogewerf, chairman and chief researcher at Hurun Report, said: "A drop of more than 20% in the Chinese stock market, combined with a 6% depreciation in the Chinese Yuan were the main reasons for the large number of Chinese who fell off the list."
Watch This Zee Business Video
* 33 women on the list saw their wealth rise, led by entrepreneurs from the food industry: Shu Ping and Li Haiyan, co-founders of Chinese hotpot brand HaiDiLao and Cheng Xue and Li Xuhui, co-founders of soya sauce brand Haitian.
* Others included Mei Dong from down jacket brand Bosideng, Tory Burch of the eponymous American fashion brand, and Winnie Enevoldsen of Danish jewelry brand Pandora.
9 made the list for the first time, led by Fan Hongwei of Hengli Chemical Fibre, who shot straight into the Top 10, followed by Lu Zhongfang of training platform Offcn.
* With 51 billionaires, China has produced 57% of the world's self-made women billionaires. The US is second with 18, followed by the UK with 6. According to Hurun Global Rich List, China topped the list with 658 billionaires, 74 more than the USA with 584
* Manufacturing lost six billionaires compared with last year, but still remained the world's biggest source of wealth for self-made women, with 14, followed by real estate (13), retail (11) and tech (11). On the Hurun Global Rich List, the tech was top, followed by real estate, investment, manufacturing and retail.
* Only 5 are 45 or under, down by half from last year. Wu Yan, 38, of Chinese entertainment platform Hakim, was the youngest self-made billionaire, followed by Chen Xiaoying, 43, from express delivery brand Shentong Express, and Tatyana Bakalchuk, 43, from Russian e-commerce platform Wildberries.
* The average age was 60, 4 years younger than the average age of the Hurun Global Rich List.
* 64% had listed companies, down 5% from last year.
* 13% share their wealth with their spouses, down from 17% last year.
* Women accounted for 15.5%, up slightly from 15.3% last year, of the Hurun Global Rich. Five years ago, it was only 11%.
As many as 22 billionaires have dropped off the last year’s list, a record, including well-known Chinese actress and entertainment investor Vicky Zhao Wei, 42. Also, 47 billionaires saw their wealth shrink or stay the same. This compares with 430 individuals who dropped off the Hurun Global Rich List, released last week in Beijing and Mumbai. China led that list with the largest number of drop-offs, with 213.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.