Travelling in Delhi Metro? From spitting on floors to walking on track, know fines you may have to pay
Delhi Metro ridership has been on the rise due to the expansion of the network as well as its time-saving rides.
Delhi Metro is one of the fastest growing metro rail networks of India. The Metro ridership has been on the rise due to the expansion of the network as well as its time-saving rides. The Delhi Metro line utilisation was over 50 lakh in February 2019. The ridership is further expected to go up in the future with the opening of new corridors. You may also have been travelling in Delhi Metro every now and then. Even if you are among the occasional travellers, you should know the penalties that you may face for committing an offence knowingly or unknowingly in the Delhi Metro. Below is a list of offences and penalties as per DMRC rules:
* Spitting on the floor is a punishable offence. A fine of Rs 200 will be charged along with the forfeiture of ticket and removal from the coach.
* Quarrelling and creating a nuisance will result in a fine of Rs 200, along with forfeiture of ticket and removal from the coach.
* A male passenger is not allowed to board in ladies coach. The first coach in the moving direction is reserved for ladies. A penalty of Rs 250 is applicable.
* Drunken behaviour, vandalism, indecency, use of offensive & abusive language is punishable with a fine that may extend to Rs 500.
Watch This Zee Business Video
* Carrying dangerous and offensive material on Metro Rail is punishable with imprisonment extending up to 4 years and a fine of up to Rs 5000.
* Putting up posters without lawful authority or defacing the Metro premises or trains will invite penalties, which may extend up to 6 months imprisonment and /or a fine up to Rs 1000.
* Travelling on the roof or any other part of the train, not intended for the use of the passengers, will result in a fine of Rs 50 or imprisonment of 1 month or both.
* Walking on Metro tracks without lawful authority will be punishable by imprisonment up to 6 months or a fine of up to Rs 500 or both.
* Willfully obstructing any Metro official in discharging his or her duties will result in the punishment with imprisonment up to 1 year or fine up to Rs 1000 or both.
* Improper use of official communication equipment will be punishable by imprisonment up to 1 year or fine up to Rs 1000 or both.
* Damaging Metro boards or documents shall be punishable with imprisonment up to 2 months and/or penalty of Rs 250.
* Unauthorised sale of tickets shall be punishable with a sentence of up to 3 months and/or fine up to Rs 500.
* If any person throws an object with intent to damage any part of the train or its passengers, he/she will be punished with a life sentence or rigorous imprisonment extending up to 10 years.
* Damage to any property or causing fire hazards or explosions will result in imprisonment extending up to 10 years.
* Tampering with any safety device and endangering the safety of passengers or obstructing trains will result in imprisonment, extending up to 7 years.
* Any Unauthorised sale of articles at Metro Railway premises shall be punishable with a fine of up to Rs 500 or imprisonment up to 6 months.
* Ticket-less travel will result in a fine of Rs 50.
Watch Zee Business TV Live Streaming Here
Return journey towards the direction of the station from which passengers have entered in the system on the same ticket is not permitted and is a punishable offence under Business Rule and may invite a penalty of Rs 50.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.