Tirupati Airport to soon host wide-bodied aircraft; Vice President Venkaiah Naidu lays foundation stone for runway extension
Enhancing the aviation infrastructure of Tirupati Airport, Vice President of India M Venkaiah Naidu today laid the foundation stone for the extension and strengthening of the airport runway.
Enhancing the aviation infrastructure of Tirupati Airport, Vice President of India M Venkaiah Naidu today laid the foundation stone for the extension and strengthening of the airport runway. On completion, the extension of the runway would facilitate the landing of wide-bodied aircraft like B-747-400, B-777-300 ER. The existing runway is suitable only for the operation of AB-320/AB-321 type of aircraft. The current length of the runway is 2,286 metre which wil be increased to 3,810 metre after extension. The total cost of the project has been estimated at Rs 177.10 crore.
Speaking at the event, the vice president emphasised the importance of Air, Rail and Road connectivity for spurring economic growth. Quoting IATA (International Air Transport Association) report, Naidu said Asia-Pacific region would become the driver of the passenger growth with more than half the total number of new passengers coming from these markets over the next 20 years.
Pointing out that infrastructure in the aviation sector was hampered due to the paucity of funds for many years, Naidu opined that Public Private Partnership was the way forward to expand infrastructure and building new airports. He said that there was a need for more investment in the aviation sector. The growth in the aviation sector would not only spur tourism but also generate more employment, he added.
Shri @MVenkaiahNaidu laid the Foundation Stone for extension (from 2,286m to 3,810m) & strengthening of the runway by unveiling the plaque at @aaitirairport, in the august presence of HMoSCA Shri @jayantsinha & other dignitaries. pic.twitter.com/3FwyI1iMfZ
— Airports Authority of India (@AAI_Official) February 20, 2019
The vice president also lauded the government for providing air connectivity to currently underserved and un-served airports under the Regional Connectivity Scheme – UDAN.
Key facts related to recent civil aviation projects in Andhra Pradesh:
1. New integrated Terminal building at Tirupati constructed and made operational.
2. International flights from Vijayawada airport to Singapore started from December 2018.
3. New Integrated Terminal Building (NITB) along with associated apron & city- side car Parked planned at Vijayawada Airport at a cost of Rs 611 crore.
Watch This Zee Business Video
4. Six additional Aircraft Parking Bays constructed at Visakhapatnam Airport to increase night Parking facility.
5. Kadapa Airport connected to more destinations under RCS-UDAN.
6. Extension and strengthening of existing runways at Vijayawada and Rajahmundry Airports.
7. Linear expansion of Terminal Building at Visakhapatnam Airport.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.