PAN invalid if not linked to Aadhaar card? Here’s how to link the two
Government officials said that the Permanent Account Number card could be rendered useless by December 31 if not linked to the Aadhaar card, a report by Hindustan Time said on Thursday.
Currently, the PAN card was the necessary document while filing for IT returns.
The government through an amendment in the Finance Bill has proposed the Aadhaar card to be a necessity in order to file for tax returns with effect from July 1.
Aadhaar will also be a necessary document required for applying for a PAN card that is needed for opening bank accounts.
Here’s what you need to do according to the official Aadhaar website:
1. Register yourself at the e-Filing website of the Income Tax Department.
2. If you are already registered, login the site using your ID, password, and captcha code.
3. Once you login, a window will pop-up proposing to link your PAN with UID.
4. Your registered details will appear automatically.
5. Verify the details and match them with details mentioned in Aadhar card.
6. If the details are tallying, just type in your Aadhar card number. Click the “link now” button.
7. Within few seconds, a message will appear on the screen informing you of successful linking of your PAN and UID.
8. If your details are not tallying as in your Aadhar card, submit a valid proof and get the details corrected.
“Using the above online procedure, you can link your Aadhar card to your PAN card without submitting any documents. Be sure that your details including spellings in your registered details at e-filing site match with that of Aadhar card,” the Aadhaar website said.
From April 1 Aadhaar cards will also be mandatory for opening an Employee Provident Fund (EPF) account.
Earlier in February the government made the Aadhaar mandatory for people who have ration cards under the National Food Security Act in order to receive further subsidies from the Public Distribution System (PDS).
More than 108 crore people have Aadhaar cards in the country and nearly 25 crore PAN card holders.
The government has pushed for the use of Aadhaar card over the years stating that people have made duplicates of the PAN card which were being used to file for returns.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.