IRCTC latest ticket booking rules, cancellation charges, tatkal timings, reservation rules and more
The Indian Railways' online ticketing arm, Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation or IRCTC, provides services like online ticket booking, reservation service, food catering, tourism, and various other services.
The Indian Railways' online ticketing arm, Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation or IRCTC, provides services like online ticket booking, reservation service, food catering, tourism, and various other services. The individual can book maxium six tickets in a calendar month under certain circumstances from its official website/app. According to IRCTC website, the user can only book a maximum of six berths/seats at a time for a particular journey between any two stations. While in case of Tatkal tickets, tickets are booked against extra payment of premium charges by the traveller.
Here are 11 things, you must know about IRCTC Online reservation:
1. Bookings can be done against General (GN), Senior Citizen (SS), Ladies (LD) and Tatkal (TQ) quota berths/seats only.
2. All payments towards the cost of the tickets issued should be done through one of the payment mode provided on the payment page, according to IRCTC.
3. Ladies Quota (LD) is generally earmarked in sleeper class (SL) and second sitting (2S).
4. Passengers can book a ticket up to 120 days in advance for all classes and trains. However, in case of some intercity day trains, the ARP (Advance Reservation Period) is less than 60 days.
5. One must be a registered user to IRCTC's website/app to book tickets and for any type of enquiries. No user can register more than once on the site.
6. Under Tatkal quota, berths/seats are earmarked in all-important trains in different classes except for First Class Air-conditioned (1A) class.
7. Online booking of train tickets are allowed from 00:20 am to 11:45 pm (Indian Standard Time) on all days including Sundays, according to IRCTC.
9. For Tatkal booking, opening day means one day in advance from date of departure of train from originating station. For e.g.-if train is to depart from originating station on August 2, Tatkal booking will commence at 10.00 AM on August 1.
10. Auto upgradation is available to the next higher class on optional basis, as per railway rules.
11. Cancellation of e-tickets can be done by passengers only before chart preparation of the train. After chart preparation, passengers can use the online TDR (ticket deposit receipt) filing facility and track the status of refund.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.