Indian Railways Train-18 to retire Shatabdi; This special engine-less train can run at 160 kmph
The much-awaited and first of its kind for Indian Railways, Train 18 is expected to undergo trials in September. The Train-18 is semi-high speed self-propelled trains like Metro trains and can run at a speed of 160 kmph. All new luxurious T-18 coaches will be replacing existing Shatabdi coaches and coaches of intercity trains.
As per a DNA report, Mumbai may get the first set of T-18 coaches. The coaches may be maintained at the Virar carshed.
The trial is likely to be conducted on the Delhi-Agra-Bhopal stretch. Integral Coach Factory Chennai is building this train and the work is in the final phase. The train is expected to be rolled out in a record 16 months time.
Features of the T-18
* Self-propelled: T-18 is self-propelled on electric-traction and does not require an engine to pull it.
* Coaches: Each train set will have 16 coaches. The coaches will have two class - Executive class and second class.
* Fully AC: The train will be fully AC chair car with separate footrest for each seat. Even the driver's cabin is fully AC. The executive class chairs will be fully rotatable.
* Automatic Doors: The train will have automatic sliding doors for entry into one coach from other. The gangway will be fully sealed just like Metro trains. The entry doors also will be automatic and will have retractable footsteps.
* Flooring: The train will have halogen-free rubber-on-rubber flooring
* Lights: The coaches are equipped with modern LED lights
* Windows: The train will have large glass windows with concealed roller blinders
* Luggage: All the coaches will have a luggage rack
* Interior: The interior of the train is not only luxurious but also well designed and uses an array of colours.
* Disabled-friendly: There will be space for a wheelchair near the driving coach. There is space in every coach for the movement of the wheelchair
* WiFi: The train will have onboard WiFi and infotainment
* Modular toilet with bio-vacuum system
Besides Train -18, ICF is also working on the design of Train-20. The Train-20 will replace existing Rajdhani coaches. However, there isn't any timeline assigned for the project as of now.