Indian Railways set to showcase its first world-class station; Check name, cost and features
This railway station will have decongested platforms with exit underpass for passengers de-boarding trains.
Indian Railways' bid to create world-class facilities at railway station seems to be bearing fruit at Habibganj (Bhopal) station in Madhya Pradesh. The Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation (IRSDC) is involved with the redevelopment work and it is likely to be completed by December-end this year. The Habibganj railway station, redeveloped on the PPP model with the Bansal Group, would also have a dedicated concourse area. The redevelopment will reportedly cost around Rs 100 crore, while Rs 350 crore will be spent on commercial development in and around the railway station.
Media reports quoted IRSDC MD and CEO, SK Lohia, as saying, “I believe the Habibganj railway station will be completely redeveloped and ready by December-end 2019. The work on the new concourse took more time than we expected due to the requirement of several clearances. But, I am hopeful that by December-end we will be able to complete work on this world-class station.”
The world-class facilities proposed in the station include congestion-free non-conflicting entry/exit, segregation of arrival/departure of passengers, adequate concourse without overcrowding, along with integrating it with both sides of the city so that other modes of transport would be made available to travellers. The well-illuminated circulating area would an added attraction along with sufficient provision for drop off, pick up and parking facility.
Since Habibganj railway station is being refurbished on the Public-Private Partnership (PPP) model with the Bansal Group, the station would be redeveloped on the lines of Heidelberg railway station in Germany. Key features of the station would be:
1. Habibganj railway station will have a glass dome-like structure at its entrance.
2. It will have decongested platforms with exit underpass for passengers de-boarding trains.
3. It will be a “green building” with LED lighting, and the wastewater will also be treated for reuse.
4. The station will have a dedicated concourse area with airport-like retail outlets and food cafeterias.
5. The Eastern side outside the Habibganj station will reportedly have plush hotels, hospitals, spas and a convention centre.
6. Traveller will will enjoy amenities like plush waiting lounge, modern clean toilets, world-class interiors along with gaming and museum zones.
— Zee Business (@ZeeBusiness) July 19, 2019
Among other stations that would also be provided with an international look are Gandhinagar, Surat, Chandigarh, Anand Vihar, and Baiyappanahalli.