Indian Railways next plan: Low-cost Sanitary pad, condom vending machines and more at stations; Corporates invited
Rail Sahyog: The Indian Railways is inviting corporates and individuals to participate in CSR activities to set up and provide a number of amenities at the railway stations, including low-cost sanitary pad vending machines and incinerators in female toilets and condom vending machine in male toilets,
The Indian Railways is inviting corporates and individuals to participate in CSR activities to set up and provide a number of amenities at the railway stations, including low-cost sanitary pad vending machines and incinerators in female toilets and condom vending machine in male toilets, bottle crushers and many more. For this the Union Minister of Railways and Coal Piyush Goyal launched a web portal www.railsahyog.in on Tuesday.
Rail Sahyog is a platform for all including individuals as also private-public organisation to contribute towards CSR activities in association with Indian Railways.
The web portal aims to provide a platform for corporates and PSUs to contribute to the creation of amenities at, or near, Railway Stations through Corporate Social Responsibility funds.
Launching the website, Goyal said the 'Rail Sahyog' portal is an example of changing times and speedy execution of projects in Railways. "Salient feature of this portal is its simplicity and transparency. This portal will provide an opportunity for industry, companies, associations to collaborate with Railways. This portal will not only be beneficial for passengers but also for neighbourhood of Railway vicinity,” Goyal said.
"The cost indicated against each of the activities identified to be undertaken in this initiative are only indicative in nature but the main focus would be on ensuring creation of good quality assets through this collaboration," Goyal further said.
Railways Board chairman Ashwani Lohani said, "Rail Sahyog” will remove all hurdles faced by the companies for cooperation with Railways. Individuals, Private companies have the freedom to execute projects in Railways.”
Activities identified by the Railways to be funded through CSR
- Construction of toilets in circulating areas of all stations with the provision of low-cost sanitary pad vending machine and incinerator in female toilets and condom vending machine in male toilets and initial one-year maintenance. Approximate Cost per station: Rs. 22-30 Lakh.
- Free Wi-Fi at stations through setting up Hotspots. Approximate cost per station: Rs. 10.30 lakhs to Rs 12.30 lakhs
- Benches at station Platforms as facility for senior citizens/disabled. Approximate cost per set: Rs 17,500 to Rs 47,500.
- Bottle crushing machines at 2175 major stations for ensuring environmental sustainability. The empty plastic water/cold drink bottles generated from the Railway passengers will be crushed in these machines to manage plastic pollution. Approximate cost per machine: Rs. 3.5 lakhs to Rs. 4.5 Lakhs
- Dustbins at all stations: Separate dustbins for wet/dry waste need to be provided at circulating area of Station and Platforms. Approximate cost per set (two dustbins) : Rs. 4500
Watch this Zee Business video
Railways will consider adding additional items to be funded through CSR.