Indian Railways luggage rules: Know about weight limit, extra charge and other details here
Indian Railways has set rules for carrying luggage in the trains. There are certain rules for weight limit, which allows the passenger to carry luggage in the compartment without paying additional charges to govt.
Indian Railways has set rules for carrying luggage in the trains. There are certain rules for weight limit, which allows the passenger to carry luggage in the compartment without paying additional charges to govt. The free allowance varies as per different classes of travel. While passengers can book and carry excess luggage other than free allowance limits in the compartment depending on the booking class. The luggage beyond the free allowed limit is chargeable at 1.5 times the applicable luggage rate, as per the Indian Railway website.
Here are the few details to know about luggage rules of Indian Railways, as per the railways website:
1. This is the table that shows the free allowance and paid allowance limits applicable to carry luggage in the compartment, according to indianrail.gov.in:
2. Each passenger is allowed a free allowance up to which he can carry luggage with him in the compartment, free of cost. The free allowance in the coaches shall vary as per the different classes of travel.
3. According to railways website, trunks, suitcase and boxes with the measurement of 100 cms x 60 cms x 25 cms (length x breadth x height) shall be allowed to carry in the compartments as personal luggage of the passenger. While if the trunks, suitcase, and boxes are outside measurement will be required to be booked and carried in the brake van and not in the passengers' compartment.
4. The patients travelling with oxygen cylinder and its supporting stand under medical certificate can be permitted to carry in all classes. Also the merchandized items are not permitted for booking and carriage in the compartment as personal luggage.
5. Also, the website further explains that luggage of larger dimension are to be carried only by brake van and the minimum charge for luggage is Rs 30. While there is no restriction on carriage of luggage in brake van of passenger trains as far as quantity and type (personal or merchandise) of luggage is concerned.
6. The luggage required to travel in the same train as of the owner should be presented at the luggage office of the booking station at least 30 minutes prior to departure time of the respective train. Also children aged five and below 12 years are allowed half of the free allowance subject to the maximum of 50 kgs, according to railway's website.
7. Bulky surcharge is applicable only on package weighing above 100 kgs or exceeding 1m-1m-0.7m in outside measurement, as per the railways website.
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.